cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnecting every 12-24 hours

mikeybe81

Disconnecting every 12-24 hours

Over the past week my internet connection has stopped working once/twice a day after working fine for 18 months.
I've got a Time Capsule connected to a BT Openreach Modem in bridge mode. When the Time Capsule loses connection the Lan 1 light on the Openreach modem is solid green and doesn't flicker like it normally does. I've tried connecting my laptop straight into the Openreach modem in place of the Time Capsule when the internet connection has dropped and this doesn't do anything. I've tried resetting the Time Capsule and have reverted to factory settings and set up from scratch and this has no effect either, leading me to believe that the issue is either with the modem or in the ADSL network. I used alternative DNS settings and this hasn't resolved the issue either. The only way I can resolve the issue is to turn the Openreach modem off and back on. The connection will remain working once restarted for 12+ hours, but then falls over again.
Has anyone experienced similar problems and found a solution?
19 REPLIES 19
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Disconnecting every 12-24 hours

If you unplug the BT modem from the line does the dsl/lan light stay lit up?  Roll_eyes
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
progwardy

Watching this thread with interest as I have lost connection for the last two nights.
Same fix - to switch Openreach modem off and back on.
Will wait to see what happens tonight.....
Phillip
Dabbler

I'm afraid that I sympathise with you and am now on the cusp of leaving Plus Net due to their unwillingness to resolve this ongoing issue - which is apparently an 'internal
I get 1-2 line drops every day for the last few months  and have changed the router a few times (different makes).
The same happens when I connect directly to the Openreach modem.
Latest Message #121454437:
Thank you for getting back to us.
I have rechecked your connection and can see the disconnection as you mentioned, however once adding all the disconnections together it does not meet the criteria of the minimum disconnections before it can be looked into, as if an engineer visited the site and no fault was found at that time, the visit will be chargeable.
As the disconnection you see has no pattern there are no way this can be pinpointed to be looked into. The tests shows no network issue located so we are unable to request engineers to visit locations for any checks.
As you have tried 3 routers I do not think you need another router to test, the Technicolor router we have supplied is out of warranty so cannot replace it, however if you would like to order a new router from us, please contact our customer services team on 0800 4320200.
I have also noticed that the disconnections are showing as 'user requests' so this can be from an internal environment. Are you aware of any equipment that could be interfering with the connection.
This list is not exhaustive but common culprits could be:
• A current imbalance between two power carrying conductors (Earth leakage fault).
• Faulty thermostats (Central heating, Immersion heaters).
• Electrical power supply units (Laptops, Routers, Plasma TVs).
• Industrial/Commercial power usage (Electric Railways, Electric fences, Electric motors).
• Decorative electrical items (Christmas tree lights, Touch lights).
• Security systems (PIR lights switching on and off).
• Digital Communication Receivers (Satellite and Freeview set top boxes).
• Internal power and telecoms cables run close together at the End User.
This is not necessary but worth trying if you can, if you suspect there is something interfering with your broadband, get an AM/MW radio and tune it to 612Khz. If you hold the radio next to an LCD screen for your pc as an example you would hear a distinct noise. This should fade away if you move the radio a quarter to half a meter away. Hold it by your modem/router and you'll hear the ADSL signal
Well, I don't buy it, as nothing has changed for this to have suddenly start happening so consistently and I've already changed power supplies.
Something similar happened a few years ago when I was with BE* and the BT engineer said that when they added another subscriber to the cabinet they probably affected my line, and fixed it. It was stable for years until the last few months.
Something has changed at Plus Net and it is no longer the company that it was. You may think that 1-2 line drops in the evening is acceptable, but I do not.
Phillip
Dabbler

BTW mikeybe81, my issue is the same as yours, now have Apple Airport extreme and it drops out once or twice a day - goes amber until it reconnects.
Tried connecting directly to the modem but the same.
My original PlusNet Thompson died, bought an Asus and now Apple but hasn't changed anything.
Was stable for a year or so until recently,  but PlusNet refuse to call out BT saying that my line it is stable enough and now are saying that it is 'internal'.
Fed up with the fob offs. Time to move company I believe unless the do something. but I seem to have run out of options.
mikeybe81

Many thanks for the responses. I'm now playing a waiting game for the connection to drop again. Any connection dropouts that require a restart to the modem are unacceptable in my view. I'll keep you posted with how it goes.
bsydd1949

I am having the same problem DSL light off for 2 hours lastSAturday & been off for 3 hours today Tuesday .
This has been happening for about 4weeks now connected to test line with a micro fitter.
Even turned cordless phone off using a wired one.
New router with built in modem NETGEAR nighthawk .
But still have problems .
Cannot see point in changing from Plusnet because bt still run the connection
Unless you can go to virgin .
Had vist from openreach line tested but no fault found .
If this was gas/ electric they would be many complaining .
Should get a refund on bill for disconnects .
mikeybe81

So the line dropped out about 5:30am. Unplugging and reconnecting the DSL line between the modem and the BT box triggered the broadband back into life without having to restart any equipment. Does this indicate that the problem is line side between the modem and the cabinet or could it still be modem related?
bsydd1949

I have changed the router for a new one with a built in modem all wiring changed
Cordless phone disconnected in case it was that causing problems but still getting
DSL light off for 1-2 hours almost every day .
Dont know what else i can do been running on test socket with micro filter
But i makes no improvement .
Glad its no a pacemaker i would be dead!!!!!!! Embarrassed
bsydd1949

Can people that are have same problems put what telphone exchange they are with
Mine is ECKINGTON  IN DERBYSHIRE
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's very unlikely that an intermittent sync problem is caused by an exchange issue, normally that shows as an authentication issue.
If others are having problems with their connection I'd advise going through the troubleshooting guides and reporting faults/starting your own threads otherwise it's very hard to help.
@mikeybe81
Your line is dropping a fair bit, I've included an image of this below. Looking at your account you haven't reported the problem to us yet? I'd advise doing so at https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
corystes

I've been having same sort of problems since 21st March.   I'm in Dorset so it's a wider problem than just Derbyshire.  I've un-powered the BT modem each time and got the connection back when re-powering.  Just tried Mikeybe81 remedy of unplugging the DSL line.  That worked too, and seemed to reconnect faster.  Got an engineer scheduled for Friday but I've not had a message from Plusnet like Philips.  Hope something is found because I'm stuck with Plus for another year.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: corystes
I'm in Dorset so it's a wider problem than just Derbyshire.

It's more likely to be specific faults with a line.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bsydd1949

Thanks for reply i think i maybe the copper wires from the fiber cabin to the house if it were all fiber i think we would not
Get all the problems  we have
progwardy

So this morning  found that the Internet thief had returned during the night and for the third day running no Internet this morning.
Same fix - to turn off Openreach box and then Technicolor router.
No issues (other than national outages) before Sunday. So a repeated fault every 24 hours. Very odd.
I'm in Canterbury, Kent.
Time to report it.