cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing wait times, terrible fibre speeds

doylethefirst

Disappointing wait times, terrible fibre speeds

I've been with plusnet for the past year and a half or so and have been happy with the speed. However for the past few months the firbre optic speeds for me have been ranging for 2mbps-20mbps and I've had trouble with streaming services (as opposed to the 38mbps that I initially got and was advertised) 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5722918409

For the past month I've tried contacting over telephone with no avail because I have waited more than 40 minutes with still no response.

I just flagged up a ticket on the online chat  at 20:56, and got this

Info
 at 20:58, Oct 17:
All agents are currently assisting others. Your place in the queue is 22. Thank you for your patience.

SNIP

Info
 at 22:16, Oct 17:
All agents are currently assisting others. Your place in the queue is 1. Thank you for your patience.

Info
 at 22:18, Oct 17:
There are currently no agents available to chat. Please try again soon.

Been with many broadband providers and really disappointed with the waits for customer service

Is there anything I can do (which doesn't involve going through live chat or the telephone service) to resolve my speed?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Disappointing wait times, terrible fibre speeds

I had a similar wait the other night & by the time I was shown as 1st in the queue the chat line was closed.

The next day I waited for 40 minutes & when an agent answered I'd forgotten who I'd called because I'd aslo been trying to contact another firm with a long phone wait.

I'm looking to change to TalkTalk when my contract expires on the 11th November as I can get broadband & phone + TV & a mobile sim card for what I pay Plusnet for just broadband & phone.

Also help questions on the TalkTalk forum seem to get answered by TalkTalk staff very quickly.

DanDanDan
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

The best thing you can do is narrow down the problem as much as possible, so when you do get through there is no time wasted getting it sorted. 

I'd do the following before calling up;

Make sure the router/modem is plugged into the first telephone socket in the house (the master socket). If so, disconnect all your other internet devices and just plug one laptop/PC into the router with an ethernet cable. 

Test it using the BT speed test site (speedtest.btwholesale.com). At the end select "Further Diagnostics" , this will actually send the results to Plusnet.

Basically if you call up and say "I've tested at x speed with an Ethernet cable and no other devices connected, and my modem is in the master socket" - then that basically rules out all the simple things and they should get you a fault raised pronto. 

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Testing your line isn't showing a fault on the line itself, however there is an issue with the capacity in the area.

Problem Explanation: [ND506] Potential Performance issue has been identified related to VLAN Utilization.

If you can report a fault at https://faults.plus.net we can get this investigated.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
doylethefirst

Thank you, I will do this