cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing speeds

chrisem21

Disappointing speeds

Hi,

Wondering if anyone is able to help. I recently signed up to Plusnet on the 76Mb fibre package but I'm not getting the download speed I was quoted. On the member centre line speed page it shows this which matches my initial quote.

Estimated line speed:
69Mb (This may vary between 51.2Mb and 69Mb) - Checked on 2016-12-17 15:04:45
Current line speed:
39.2 Mb

The current line speed matches the results i've been getting since I was activated on speedtest.net, fast.com & the BTW test. It's a pretty consistent 38-39 Mb/s. All tests are done via ethernet with no other devices connected to the router. I've also tested using an openreach modem and got the same result.

I've tried taking the faceplate off my master socket (which is my only socket and was only installed a few weeks ago for this connection - I was on virgin before) and connecting directly to the test socket and this brings my download speed up to 45-47 (BTW results attached). Better, but still a decent amount off what I was expecting given my house is only about 25 metres from the closest cabinet!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / help!

7 REPLIES 7
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Disappointing speeds

Hello,

Did you sign up for the fibre extra? Or just the fibre package.

If you've signed up for the fibre extra, might be worth calling them tomorrow or visit live chat. Seems they need to nudge the profile on the system.
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
chrisem21

Yes "unlimited fibre extra" is what it shows on my welcome email. I tried live chat over the weekend but apparently i'm on the correct plan - could openreach have activated me on the lower package?

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Considering the BT test shows an ip profile of 49.1mb and plusnet shows 39mb it's definitely a profile mismatch.

Ask them on live chat if they can nudge the ip profile to match bt's... maybe a member of staff will pick this post up tomorrow and do it.
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there, This isn't a profile mismatch, the profile on our side actually doesn't impact your speed on the new network, plus speedtests are showing you're getting above that profile too.

Policy ID: FTTC FTTC
Profile Rate: 49104 20000
Test File Size: 74995680 477557
File Transfer Average Throughput/Session: 47420 15570

The issue is that your line is only connecting through to the cabinet at 50.7Mb/s, giving a profile of 49104 as above.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 50.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 17.8 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 601.6
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2017-01-26T15:15:00

This is very very slight below the estimate range of your line by 0.5Mb/s, which means that this is unlikely to be progressed as a fault but if you want us to try please report it at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chrisem21

Thanks for the replies. So should I continue to run through the test socket? When the faceplate is attached my speeds are ~10Mbps slower. Does this warrant a fault?

I'm a little surprised my speed is not closer to the cap given i'm so close to my cabinet. On your report below it shows

Estimated Line Length In Metres 601.6

yet my closest cabinet is only ~25m from my house. Is there a map showing where Kidbrooke cabinet 13 is located (saw this on the speed estimate website) so I can confirm whether it's the one on my street?

Thanks!

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

there is normally a number on the adjacent normal (non fibre) cab

chrisem21

Thanks for the tip. I've found this really useful website: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm#fttc_cab_info

that shows you how to lookup where your cabinet is. Unfortunately I didn't realise there are in fact two types of cabinet and my FTTC cabinet is not the one on my street! 

This explains the speeds, so really it's just the issue of the faceplate that remains and what I should do about it (if anything)?