Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing speeds compared to what was offered

FIXED
scoobysnax1
Hooked

Disappointing speeds compared to what was offered

Hello, i have attached screen shots of the two speed tests.
I had noticed Skype was playing up and calls were dropping etc so did a speed test and found only 10Mb down, 1Mb up approx. This is in contrast to what i assumed was the speed i would be getting, est 30 Mb or similar (with this more likely being between 22 and 30Mb.

Is there any tweaking of the profiles that could be done? I used to be with talk talk at another address and i was able to get my speeds increased a great deal through a similar route.

My line is extremely stable and have seen no issues with connectivity in the last 4-5 months.

Thanks for any help and of the any other information i can provide please let me know.
21 REPLIES 21
holmes1969
Dabbler

Re: Disappointing speeds compared to what was offered

I am of the opinion that Plusnet is probably the worst telecommunications company to try to contact. Chat lines are very rarely available,telephone lines have waiting times of up to 15mins. and there is no email address. My broadband speed is suposed to be a staggering 6.5 mbps (joke) at the moment it is 0.41 mbps. Trying to get this problem solved is a waste of time as you can never contact anyone to get it improved. Plusnet now inform me that I have to pay extra each month as they have improved my speeds. This is untrue and I will be leaving Plusnet,I do not expect a great improvement in my speeds but just to have a more stable connection and also be able to acually talk to someone about problems. Plusnet service is appalling unfortunalely I do not have the time to wait and wait and wait to talk to someone on the telephone or sit in front of a computer with the message.  "Sorry a Plusnet chat agent isn’t available at the minute, please refresh the page to try again. Chat is available 7 days a week from 7.30am – 10pm. Outside of these times, call us on 0800 432 0200, or if you want to talk about moving or faults, call us on 0800 023 2221 Thank you"

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

The last couple of faults I've had, I haven't waited on the phone or used the chat. Just go to the Broadband fault page and work through it. Ticket gets raised and I haven't waited long to get the thing sorted. Even getting OR out was fairly painless - even though it took them about 3 goes to finally nail the fault.

The only problem you might have is will things improve is you do leave PN? If it is a line fault, you'll still have the same issues whoever you end up with. Presumably the line is quiet with no crackles, noise etc.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
holmes1969
Dabbler

Thanks for that,I do realize that if I change supplier it is still the same B.T. line but all I want is a stable speed however rubish the speed is. At the moment it's up and down like a yo yo, and Plusnet have the cheek to charge me more because they have improved the service which is not correct and should be brought to task.

If I complain they will reconfigure it and it will opperate sort of O.K. and it makes me go away.

Will look into what you suggest,thanks.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@holmes1969 & @idonno why don't you two get a room together to discuss your problems leaving this thread free so people can reply to the OP???
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @scoobysnax1

Thanks for getting in touch,

I've made some changes to your line profile which should take effect in a few hours. If you're still getting the same test results on a wired connection via the BT Openreach test socket at close of play, I'd be grateful if you could raise a fault here:

Let us know if you raise a fault and we'll be happy to investigate this further.

Best Wishes,

Dave

scoobysnax1
Hooked

Thanks, I'll check it out as soon as i get home and test over the next few days.

Fan of Stephen King by any chance? 😀
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@scoobysnax1

M-O-O-N.

That spells "Fan"

Wink

6af37c3368e203e325d6ee7727ada10c.jpg

Dave

headonastick
Dabbler

And what do you do if you don't have an open reach test socket?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @headonastick

It depends on the context of the fault really. We'd recommend following the remainder of the broadband troubleshooting which can be found on our website and then getting in touch so we could investigate further.

Happy to help if you can provide more detail?

Thanks,

Dave

scoobysnax1
Hooked

Hi,

The speeds seem to be the same... only thing changed is the "current line speed" on plusnet site is showing 37Mb now, instead of 10 as before - but a normal speed test is only showing the same as before 10down, 1 up...

I'll test again in the morning and see if its kicked in then?

Any ideas otherwise?

Thanks

headonastick
Dabbler

Wow, 16 Mbps, superfast fibre!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@scoobysnax1 Unfortunately your sync speeds are still poor so I'd recommend raising a fault here. Let us know once you've done this and we'll get that picked up.

@headonastick Sorry to see your speeds are poor. Our tests aren't showing any issues. Any chance you can try a wired connection to see if that has the same issues?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
scoobysnax1
Hooked

Ok, cheers. I'll get on to that when i get home tonight.
headonastick
Dabbler

I'll just nip out and buy an ethernet card for my PC.....no I don't have a wired connection because I don't see the point as I wouldn't use it. Isn't that the whole point of wireless hubs?