cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing speeds after install

michaeldale00

Disappointing speeds after install

Had fibre installed yesterday but unfortunately router hadn't been sent to arrive in time. It came this morning and all plugged in. Initially download speeds were 5mbps and uploads 6mbps. I contacted plusnet and they explained it was a setting their end (see others have had a similar issue of products not automatically changing over). Since then my speeds are as shown, really disappointing since engineer showed me yesterday on the install a reading of 67mbps. Anything I can so to improve this?
10 REPLIES 10
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Disappointing speeds after install

The first thing to do is a test via a wired ethernet connection.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As DomS says, a wired test is a great first step. I can see from the screenshot that you haven't got a full strength wireless connection so a wire will rule out any problems.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
michaeldale00

Thanks, was hoping for an easier solution as we have no laptops or PC's just tablets as iPhones, surely if it was showing 60+ at the socket yesterday there must be something amiss? If that's the only solution I'll have to beg or borrow a laptop from somewhere just a bit of a chore . Appreciate the advice tho
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

my phone has rubbish speeds as well over wireless..... what flavour are you using ?
Dhaos
Grafter

Yeah if i try a speedtest on my phone i get no where near the speeds i get over my pc thats on the wifi (8.9 MB/s)
michaeldale00

Have tried a laptop in and it's showing 30mbps download and about 11 Mbps upload, is there any way of improving the wireless to our iPads and iPhones? I haven't yet tried wireless to laptop
Alucidnation
Rising Star

Use a different router as the Plusnet one isnt that good.
thesawdust
Grafter

I get full speed on my plusNET router  Cheesy
Wireless isn't fantastic on the box, but it could be worse and be as poor the sky hub SR102.  Shocked
picbits
Rising Star

As above, my 582n isn't brilliant on the wireless but I still manage 30-40Mb speeds. I get the full speed through the Ethernet ports though.
Not the best router in the world but to be honest with you, the most you'd really need for HD streaming is 6-10Mb on the wireless.
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I've found both Android and Iphone, mobile devices very very inaccurate with speedtests, On my Nexus4 my connection seems to max out at arround 40Mb, then on the Samsung S3 its even slower, on my sons Tab3 its even worst. All tests taken in the same room as the router. I also have an android box connected using Ethernet and this gets around 30Mb. But using my PC or Laptop I can get over 60Mb easily. I wouldn't trust any result gained via mobile devices.