cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing downstream line rate

Syncros

Disappointing downstream line rate

Hi all, new customer here with a 'quick' question.
Had a look through a few previous threads concerning this type of issue and noticed other people talking about similar problems so thought I'd ask the question.
I've obviously just signed up for Fibre and was initially estimated I'd receive around the 38mbps mark (even happier that, now on the service I've synced up @ 39mbps), however I appear to have fallen pray to a 21mbps line cap which was set on the 2nd day of service. This is obviously below the original estimation and frankly no faster than the ADSL service I had with Sky previously. In-fact, it'd go as far to say it's been worse with Plusnet as during heavily congested periods I've seen throughput reduced as much as 80% to 90% (and that's no exaggeration), something i didn't experience with my previous provider. To be honest, I'm not even bothered by this, I understand capacity is expensive and not everybody has bottomless pockets but I'll be more than a little disappointed if I can't find some kind of resolution to this issue as that's the sole reason as to why I moved. Once outside of my initial 6months I'll be paying more with Plusnet than I was with my previous supplier for an overall worse service.
So, day 1 of activation I decided to run a few speed tests (as you would when moving from one service provider to another solely for an increase in performance) and, on this day I was seeing around 35mbps throughput, which was obviously great and a gain on what I was receiving previously (and close to the original estimate from Plusnet). From the 2nd day to today, throughput has never been above 20mbps.
Knowing that I've had the same sync speed since day 1 and having had close to that in relation to throughput on the day of activation I'd assumed this was down to BT's DLM. Now I'm outside of my 14days I've had confirmation of my line rate from Plusnet which has obviously confirmed my suspicions :-[.
Anyway, my question is simply, has anyone been through the process of having Plusnet and BT troubleshoot this and what degree of success have you had?
Unfortunately I'm using Plusnet's router so don't have access to my line stats but I have attached a few speedtest screenshots.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! Cool
13 REPLIES 13
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Disappointing downstream line rate

Hi Smiley
Really sorry about that, it seems your account was stuck on an ADSL speed profile on our side, I've updated that now, can you restart your router and check again for me please
Thanks
Syncros

I presumed wrongly then Grin
I'm seeing around 22mbps now which is better. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.
Syncros

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just want to make sure the right account is linked to your forum profile Smiley can you inbox me your plusnet username please
Syncros

PM sent Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Was that speed test using a wired or wireless connection?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Syncros

That test was over wireless but I see identical results over ethernet. I will test over both again tomorrow when i re-check the throughput Smiley
Syncros

Result!

Thanks Paul for the quick turnaround on this. Simple fix, happy customer Cool
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Brilliant, glad it's working as expected
I've passed on the issue internally as it shouldn't actually be possible for this to happen with the order journey you went through, so we can avoid this in future Smiley
zzrmatt
Dabbler

I've got virtually the same issue...
On the plusnet site it says:
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
40 Mb
On the bt wholesale site is says:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 23.26 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-75.02 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 75.02 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 3.12Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Can someone from plusnet take a look for me?
realtbhuion

seem to also have the same or very similar issue.
hub one information reports downstream @ 39.06 mb/s
line initially ran at a comfortable 38mb/s download and speedtest result.
since around midnight last night, speedtests consistently reporting 16mb/s, across multiple devices, on both wifi and ethernet connections.
screenshots of current and earlier speedtests and router downsteam/upstream info for connection attached.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hopefully that should be fixed for you now Wink
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
realtbhuion

seems to be, yep. thanks muchly for the quick fix.