cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing Unlimited Fibre Extra speeds.

FIXED
homeagain
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Disappointing Unlimited Fibre Extra speeds.

I know other people have far worse speeds than me but I seem to have a big difference between expected and actual speeds. I've checked my connections and restarted both routers, no difference.

Broadband checker.JPG19.9.19.JPG

22 REPLIES 22
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Disappointing Unlimited Fibre Extra speeds.

Hi @homeagain, sorry to hear you're having connection issues.

Checking from this side everything is looking spot on to the router with barely any drops and speeds of 76.6Mbps download and 20Mbps upload showing to get there with no signs of errors. Can I please ask if these tests were on a wired device, if not please run a wired speed test and let us know what you get.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
homeagain
Dabbler

Hi Beyhive, yes it's a wired connection at point of entry in to the house.

Regards.

homeagain
Dabbler

I'm still on the old Sagemcom 2704N router btw...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @homeagain 

Our tests aren't showing any issues, but I've given the profile on your account a nudge in case that's restricting your speeds. Could you reboot your router one more time letting us know how your speeds look afterwards? If they've not improved, do you have another device you can try to replicate the issue on?

Failing that if you can replicate the problem across two devices I'd be inclined to send you a new router (Hub One). It'll also replace the Openreach modem you'd have so that'd be a bonus.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
homeagain
Dabbler

Hi again Gandalf, tried a couple of reboots with both routers. Here's the latest results. A little better but with 3 smart TVs connected to Netflix, 2 gaming PCs, laptops ,ipads, phones etc, every mb counts these days.

20.9.19.JPG

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @homeagain Those speeds look a lot better! I wouldn't worry too much about the 10mbps drop in speed to be honest as you'd rarely get a throughput/download speed of exactly your router's sync speed at 76mbps due to what's known as overheads of the connection and also were there any devices using the internet when you ran that speed test?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
homeagain
Dabbler

I'll try a speed test again in the morning with all equipment turned off other than the PC I'm using now and report back. Thanks for your help so far.

homeagain
Dabbler

This mornings speed test with all devices off (other than this PC). Upload speed is still slow, which is a pain for the Youtubers in the house that need the bandwidth Sad21.9.19.JPG

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@homeagain 

It's worth checking from the BT test socket. You access this by taking the front off your master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and try again. If your speeds improve then the problem is with your internal extension wiring or the faceplate.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @homeagain

As @Baldrick1 has suggested, the test socket would be the next port of call here. Let us know how your speeds look under those conditions (and again with all devices disconnected) with a speed test on a wired device.

Thanks

Dave

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Whilst the test socket is the normal course of action , I'm not  sure it's going to help in this case

Checking from this side everything is looking spot on to the router with barely any drops and speeds of 76.6Mbps download and 20Mbps upload showing

Given those sync speeds, my guess is that it's either congestion or more likely the router that's limiting the throughput.

I notice that the OP is using a hub zero (2704) , was that ever supplied for use on fibre ?

It's not a very good router, even for ADSL and suffers badly from bufferbloat.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

homeagain
Dabbler

Sorry, should have mentioned router is connected to the test socket. And yes, this is a Plusnet supplied Hub Zero 2704 router. I have had a couple of failed 2704s in the past, so it may be the culprit ?Huh

Regards.

21.9.19.JPG

homeagain
Dabbler

No difference this morning folks. Will a new router that replaces my old 2704 and BT fibre modem improve things?

Any recommendations?

Cheers.

homeagain
Dabbler

How about an Asus DSL-AC68U router?