cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing Fibre Speed vs Estimate

N_

Disappointing Fibre Speed vs Estimate

Hi,
  I've had Plusnet fibre for about 3 weeks, and my DL speed is significantly behind target. I had a solid sync at around 55Mb pretty much since day 1. My line estimate speeds vary from 69-80 depending on where you look (Plusnet today estimates a fibre product speed of 72, and was 69 when I ordered).
  Plusnet wrote to me last week in an automated email to let me know how my speed compared to their estimate, but that email claimed my original estimate was just 12Mb. I wrote back pointing out the error and asking for help, but didn't get a response (and it's a bit worrying from an Ofcom CoC compliance measure if there's an incorrect recording of speed estimates!).
  I have never been able to get hold of my IP profile, even after the first 2 week period following go-live.
  I don't know my line length, but I can see my cabinet from my house - it's just a few metres away.
Line Stats:
Sync Speed: 55918 kbps
Down SNRM: 6.3 db
Up SNRM: 6.1 db
Plusnet Current Connection Speed Record: 54.6 Mb
Plusnet Curent Estimated Line Speed: 72 Mb
Any thoughts? Having plugged in a phone to diagnose a DSL drop earlier today (that resolved itself) there is a worrying crackle now and again...
13 REPLIES 13
N_

Re: Disappointing Fibre Speed vs Estimate

Does anyone have any thoughts?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi N,
Firstly welcome to our Community forums.
Quote from: N
Plusnet wrote to me last week in an automated email to let me know how my speed compared to their estimate, but that email claimed my original estimate was just 12Mb. I wrote back pointing out the error and asking for help, but didn't get a response (and it's a bit worrying from an Ofcom CoC compliance measure if there's an incorrect recording of speed estimates!).

You have been provided with your ADSL estimate in this notification and not your fibre estimate, I'll flag this up.
I have run some checks on your line and we've detected a fault with your phone line. I've raised this with our suppliers and we've been given a fix date of the 24th July.
I've also created a ticket on your account for this and it may well have a bearing on your current speeds.
N_

Thanks, much appreciated.
N_

Looks like the engineer has worked some magic and the maximum attainable speed has risen - though the engineer said he still thought there was a fault somewhere.
Is it possible for you to check if your system still finds a fault on the line, and see if a faster profile would now work?
Thanks!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

The line still isn't right, it's quite some way off the speed estimate. The line is still erroring with over 100 retrains found so there's still an issue here.
I've passed Ticket: 88929594 over to our Broadband Faults Team as I don't think we're going to get better results from this. If you could update the ticket with your availability for an engineers visit, this will enable us to get something arranged for you.
N_

Ah thanks, I'd seen my modem reporting a maximum rate of 74,812 and hoped it would be a matter of clicking a few buttons at your end.
Will update the ticket, appreciate the quick updates here as ever. Your support is a big differentiator for Plusnet, and the main reason I'm not just cancelling and going to Relish.
Have a good weekend.
N_

Quote from: Chris
I've passed Ticket: 88929594 over to our Broadband Faults Team as I don't think we're going to get better results from this. If you could update the ticket with your availability for an engineers visit, this will enable us to get something arranged for you.

Hi Chris - I see that you added the necessary info to the ticket on Friday, and I updated the ticket on Friday to say I was available all this week for an engineer visit other than Tues or Wed.
Unfortunately, nothing appears to have happened since Friday - as far as I can see, there's been no attempt to schedule a visit at all.
I'm worried that it soon won't be possible to get a visit this week, which will cause a number of knock-on issues as I can't be around for the engineer for the following couple of weeks and I want to make sure this is resolved before any cooling-off period from my install expires.
Can you find out if this inaction is being caused by Plusnet or Openreach?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've just updated your ticket.
N_

Cheers Chris, the engineer came right on time and seemed a knowledgeable chap.
He ran a full suite of tests, and the line passed with flying colours - according to his test machine, my line is the sort he'd like his daughter to marry or would want to see on the front of a fashion magazine.
It connected at 42meg, and had no issues. He then placed an automated call to lift any line restrictions and the test machine connected at 72meg. He ran an error test at the full speed, and said a fail rate would be 20 errors in the test period - and we only got 2. He suggested that any issue for the low speed was with my profile / ISP rather than the connection itself.
After he put my modem back in, it connected at 72 meg - but the maximum download speed I got was about 4.8 mb/sec. Today, my modem reports a connection speed of 63 meg, with a max line speed of 76 meg.

Down       Up
SNR (dB):          6.3     7.1
Attn(dB):         13.1 0.0
Pwr(dBm):      12.7 2.9

Plusnet report my line speed at 61Mb. Actual download speed is <50.
Any thoughts?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us N,
This issue could well clear itself over the course of the next few days however if this is still apparent next week I think we may need to get some more diagnostics carried out to see if this is a stuck profile.
If you can keep an eye on the speeds and let us know, we should be able to pick it up for you.
N_

I'm afraid this is getting no better, indeed the profile speeds are dropping further.
Not sure if I'm just going to have to give up and switch to the 40Mb product, but I've been on a 52meg profile for a while now which is rather sad when the BT checker still says 72-80 should be the speed for my line.
Is it possible to have the profile changed to something faster and/or have the line training equivalent start again?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately the only way to get a line reset on fibre is via an engineer as part of a fault investigation. We're happy to look into this again for you but you'd need to go through the faults checker at https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
N_

Thanks Chris. An engineer appointment has now been made to come out and remove the band on the line so hopefully the modem will connect at line speed. I would have thought this is something that could have been done without access to my property, but will take an afternoon's leave in the hope it gets sorted!