Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed with speed of link.

bigsimes
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Disappointed with speed of link.

I am a new PN customer. After looking at all the services available to me with all the providers PN seemed the best option.
According to all the test sites, I should be able to receive a service of around 51Mpbs, but should expect a service between 35-51Mpbs. On this basis, I opted for the 78Mpbs unlimited package.  Smiley
The service has been running for 7 days now, and I've yet to get above 25Mbps. I have been running tests at different times of the day, and it hovers between 22-24Mbps, consistently
I am quite disappointed at this. I know there are some variances, but an almost 50% drop in performance is quite a lot. I've even run tests after the install, and all the sites suggest an achievable speed of around 51Mbps. If it was never going to be achievable I would have opted for a cheaper service!
I will leave this few more days, but I don't think this will improve. Shame.  Sad
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Disappointed with speed of link.

are you testing wired or wireless
can you post the results from a BT Speedtest, Further Diagnostics (see Speed post at the top of this board)
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Try speedtest.btwholesale.com
Do a speedtest there and then do further diagnostics.  Could you provide us a screenshot once that test has complete?
The below picture is an example of mine - speeds lower due to wifi but should be done via Ethernet.  
Many thanks
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
bigsimes
Grafter

Thanks for the quick responses, I wasn't expecting anything.
I've run the tests wired and wirelessly and it makes no difference. My access-points are 802.11 n/ac and have more than enough through-put.
Screen shots...
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That doesn't look good
Can you post the information from  http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
bigsimes
Grafter

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Given that result I can't see any way Plusnet should have advised that 51Mb/s was even possible
Your speeds are in the middle of the impacted band which is what they normally work on
When fibre was installed was it a self install or did an engineer attend
Have you a  filtered faceplate in the master socket
bigsimes
Grafter

Thanks Jim.
This was a self-install; 'router through the post' job.
I don't have a filtered face-plate on the master socket, using the ADSL filter plug supplied.
I guess whats annoying is that I choose the more expensive service, based on the information provided at the time of order, that I could expect speeds of up 51Mbps. Had they informed me I couldn't get anymore than 23-25Mbps I would have ordered a cheaper service. Hence my disappointment!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That can easily be fixed - just phone Customer Options next week - see my sig for the number
In the meantime can we do a few checks
Can you remove the lower section of the master socket and plug the filter into the test socket behind it and report the result from the BT Speedtest Further diagnostics again
Can you also check that the other phone points area dead when you have done this
bigsimes
Grafter

Hi Jim,
I've plugged the Hub1 directly into the master socket, after removing the face plate. No other phones are connected.
Results:
Hub1 is suggesting its connecting at 38Mbps
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The bad news is that you won't get the speeds you were expecting
The good news is that in the test socket your IP profile increased from 29.64 Mb/s to 37.68Mb/s
This means that the sync speed increased from about 30.6 to 38.9Mb/s so your internal wiring is probably affecting things
You could go back to the normal socket and check again but either way you should phone Customer Options and get your product changed to the lower one providing you aren't too bothered about the upstream speed as the lower product has speeds of 40/2 which will reduce your upload from about 8 down to about  1.8 - 1.9Mb/s
bigsimes
Grafter

Hi Jim,
Many thanks for your help. Appreciate this on a Saturday, I'm sure you've got better things to do on a wet and grizzly afternoon.
If the 'cheaper' option has lesser upload speed, then I may stick with what I have. I work from home, occasionally and uploading files back to the office can be painful at the best of times.
May look to at the internal cabling - may run some CAT5 from the master. Ah well.....still better than my 14.4k modem!!
Simon