cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable line manager

Distant
Hooked

Disable line manager

Hi, just activated with Plusnet 4 days ago after 2 years with BT on FTTC. On activation we started with a download speed of 2.5Mbps. This was excellent for us as we are about 3km from the cabinet.

Over the last 4 days we have dropped connection 7 times and our download speed is now under 1Mbps which is currently lower than our upload speed of ~1.1Mbps! Our SNR has gone from 5.9 to 12.5 due to an aggressive line manager.

Is there any way that the line manager can be deactivated or is it possible to set the limits of the SNR to say 7 ?

I appreciate that the line manager is trying to give me a stable connection but I'd rather have 2.5Mbps download and 10 drops a day than 0.877Mbps and 4 drops a day.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Disable line manager

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Unfortunately it isn't possible to disable DLM on your fibre line.

If you raise a fault here we'll see what we can do.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Distant
Hooked

What can you do to minimise the impact of the DLM?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I think the answer to your question is absolutely nothing. You really are "Distant" from the cabinet and are lucky FTTC works at all. The best you can do is ensure your home wiring is optimised i.e. the router are connected to the master socket, preferably using a filtered face plate so that any extension wiring does not affect the connection speed.

It might be useful to know the speed estimates for your line. Try this BT checker ...

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Distant
Hooked

As soon as we were activated with Plusnet, I checked with http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/. Estimated download was around 2.5Mbps and upload was 2Mbps. Achieved was 2.4?? down and 1.2 up. 

What's causing me an issue is the DLM deciding that the connection isn't stable enough at 2.5Mbps. What's really annoying is the fact that I can get just as many drops at 1Mbps which to me says that it's not the speed that's the issue.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 1 0.1 1.2 0.8 0.1 Available -- -- Yes --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 1 0.1 1 0.5 0.1 Available -- -- Yes --

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- -- -- --

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available -- -- -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap N              
VRI N              
NTEFaceplate N              
Last Test Date 12-05-2017              

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

It comes down to distance your very far from the Cab, Fibre is far more prone to interference that can cause instability and speed drops than a ADSL Connection it may well be there is nothing that can be done Distance matters, it could well be your better off back on ADSL.

Distant
Hooked

We never had ADSL. Open reach engineers thought we would get 0.5Mbps if we were extremely lucky. We are over 13Km from the exchange, a lot more in actual copper.

My problem is with the DLM. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the drop in speed is due to the DLM deciding I have an unstable connection and reducing the speed to make it stable. Sadly, it's just as unstable at 1Mbps as it is at 2.5Mbps.

I find it hard to believe that it is not possible to switch off the DLM on my line or at least alter it's parameters.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

DLM is a automated process within the fibre cab it will as you rightly said lower speeds if it deems the line to be too unstable, I believe Plusnet can make a request to BTW to put your line on a Stable profile rather than the default which is in favour of speed you will loose some sync( speed) how much i don't know but it should make the line more stable.

that is all an ISP can do they do not have access to DLM only Openreach does and even then only if a fault is found and fixed and all they do is re-boot it they do not turn it off or make any changes to it. 

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Just a thought, when with BT were you "happy" with the performance, albeit around 2.5mbps? When moving to Plusnet did you change to their Hub One router?

If so, it might be worth going back to using your BT Hub (with your Plusnet account user name details) as its chipset might be happier on your particular line. Unless its a 5A in which case its the same as the Hub One, just a different colour Smiley

Might be worth trying?

Distant
Hooked

Thanks Teranova667, So there are 3 thresholds (speed, standard, stable) and the Plusnet default is "Speed". So no joy there. I'm after speed (that's a relative term) at the expense of stability.

Hi dgilbert2. I was on less than a 1Mbps with BT before I moved to Plusnet, although I did have periods where I was on 1.5Mbps to 2.0Mbps. The plusnet router they sent out didn't work so I'm still using the BT Home Hub 5.0 Type B. Plusnet sent out another router but I haven't tried it yet. Base on what you said I don't think it will work as I seam to remember BT sent out a 5.0 A which didn't work - we thought it was a faulty unit, but maybe it just wasn't capable.

I guess I'm just stuck with whatever the DLM decides I'm getting. Fingers crossed for less drops and errors.

Thanks for your help.