Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between download speed to master socket and from router

ashlipipit
Hooked

Difference between download speed to master socket and from router

Hi,

We had an OpenReach engineer out yesterday to check our line due to another set of fluctuating speeds and drop outs (a very regular years old intermittent issue we have).

No fault could be found on the line, however the engineer wasn't happy that he was seeing speeds of 55mbps to to socket yet the max we were getting out wired or wireless was 45mbps. 

From time to time we're lucky and hit 50mbps for a short while but 45mbps is normal with our newer router (TP Link Archer vr2100) in stable times.  Mention newer router as we were lucky to see 45mbps with Plusnet's own routers.

Is there anything obvious that may see that loss?  Router is very close to socket, similar speed 'loss' shown whether with faceplate or with a filter in the master socket.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Difference between download speed to master socket and from router

@ashlipipit 

Are you comparing like for like? Are you connected to the test socket, that’s the one you access by taking the front off the BT master socket? Have you tried a different filter?

Note that only tests conducted when connected via an Ethernet cable are relevant.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ashlipipit
Hooked

Unfortunately although I'm currently in the faceplate on wifi right now these results were showing with filter in master socket and connected from router with ethernet.  And replicated with new wires/filters/etc.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

You need to test using the TEST socket accessible by removing front of your master socket. This disconnects your internal wiring; if better speed from test socket, indicates wiring problem, which is your responsibility to fix.
ashlipipit
Hooked

The speeds I'm talking about and were seen and done through the test socket.

And with different wires/filters/etc to ensure they weren't the cause of the drop.

We spend more time in the test socket than out of it, and we've got a nice collection of bits and bobs thanks to years of fluctations and disconnections!

I'd expect some drop, OpenReach engineer seemed to think it was too much drop.

ashlipipit
Hooked

Ah, apologies - I've now realised thanks to looking at other posts I was using Master socket and Test socket interchangably.  Where I've said Master I've meant Test, and where I've said Test I also mean Test.  I've always assumed the Test socket was the master socket 😳