cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial tone but no internet

tmarshall57

Dial tone but no internet

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Phone and internet (standard Plusnet fibre) were working perfectly yesterday. Yesterday I upgraded my contract to Unlimited Fibre Extra.
The switchover occurred early this morning (notified by email on my phone) since when I've had no internet. No hardware or software adjustments have been made during this period.

During two support sessions with PN I've plugged the router into the diagnostic socket, swapped routers, even reinstalled the old OpenReach modem and nothing has changed. The OoenReach modem's DSL light fails to illuminate. PN say that they can see that my router isn't syncing and I've agreed for a BT engineer to visit on 30th December (earliest appt. available). BT have apparently told PN that they can't see a fault on the line.
Is there anything obvious that I can check before BT arrive?
5 REPLIES 5
tmarshall57

Re: Dial tone but no internet

As if by a Christmas miracle, the internet magically reappeared at approximately 02.00 this morning (according to my router).

I rang Plusnet to cancel the BT appointment. The really disappointing thing is that there is an assumption that this was a problem at my end. I had to do all of the diagnostics, I had to take the risk of a £65 charge which I very nearly incurred anyway due to the proximity of the 3 working day cancellation period.

Ah well, thinking positively - many broadband customers don't ever get to speak to a live operative and very few would be working on Christmas day.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks @tmarshall57 

For letting us know.

All you can do, which you did, is to rule out other equipment being the issue. I've had a dodgy Sky exention cable causing noise on my line (just so it can call home and Rupert Murdoch and report what stats people are watching, and costing an arm and a leg to watch endless repeats and subsiting fotball players salaries).

Sorry Alex calm down:

I had a line issue where I had noise, also had that at Uni where it was picking up Radio 5! I didn't know that but a raised fault  to BT Wholesale. Thanks to these forums I knew 17070 option 2 quiet line test which I knew something was wrong.

Main thing if it outside your property you won't be charged, if it is and you don't test the master socket you could be. Rule everything out your side.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for your post @tmarshall57

I'm glad to hear that all is resolved now

If you have any further issues let us know

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
tmarshall57

A brief update:

After a number of DSL outages lasting approximately 12 hours each (although phone landline was always fine), BT came out yesterday. The  socket and cabling were found to be fine and no fault was found on the connection back to the exchange. Then, purely by coincidence, the DSL signal dropped resulting in a No Sync. The engineer visited the fibre cabinet and noted a faulty connection between copper and fibre. He changed my connection to an alternative available link and the signal immediately synced.

Hopefully this is the end of the issue.

It was an amazing coincidence that my problems started at the same time as my contract changed - apparently no change to hardware is required for the standard fibre to Fibre Unlimited Extra.

It was an another coincidence that the issue recurred when the engineer was present, otherwise he admitted he would have needed to report a "no fault".

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @tmarshall57,

Thanks for giving us the heads up and glad to hear it's sorted. I've updated the ongoing faults ticket here.

Give us a nudge if you need any further assistance,

Thanks.