cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devolo Magic 2 - VDSL compatibility settings

PaulHeywood
Dabbler

Devolo Magic 2 - VDSL compatibility settings

Does anyone know what I should set the adapter compatibility mode settings to on a Plusnet fibre service?  I do have overhead telephone wires coming into the house if that makes a difference, and the host unit is obviously by the phone master socket and mains plugs.

7 REPLIES 7
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Devolo Magic 2 - VDSL compatibility settings

I don't know these units, but having taken a look at the manual, I'd suggest that the 'default' box should be ticked in the first instance.  Come back if you have problems.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PaulHeywood
Dabbler

It starts off with default values but as the manual (see attached) says get in touch with your internet provider to find out which profile is best for you, I thought I would ask here.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@PaulHeywood 

My understanding is that these are basically bog standard wireless Powerline devices that work as a Mesh.

Consequently if you buy a preconfigured set I assume that all that you need to do is plug them in, connect one of them via an Ethernet cable to one of your router DSL sockets and away it should go. Unless of course I misunderstand what these devices do.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Baldrick1 apparently the Devolo units have the ability to change some of their settings to minimise the intererence with VDSL.

@PaulHeywood your VDSL profile will be 17a, so the defaults should be fine

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@MisterW wrote:

@Baldrick1 apparently the Devolo units have the ability to change some of their settings to minimise the intererence with VDSL.

So where does this interference come from? Is it to prevent conducted data getting back from the mains into the modem? If  this is the case presumably its purpose is to compensate should you have a poorly designed power supply and/or modem? Is this an issue or a gimic one asks?

Looking of the cost or these things compared with a conventional Mesh system I know where I would spend my money. Apart from this feature presumably all that is proveided is a powerline backhaul, with all the potential issues with Powerline data transmission.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Baldrick1 apparently Powerline and VDSL share the same frequency  band up to 30Mhz ( IEEE abstract https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5764415 )

Is it to prevent conducted data getting back from the mains into the modem?  I assume that the Devolo can change the spectrum it uses to attempt to minimise

Looking of the cost or these things compared with a conventional Mesh system I know where I would spend my money. Apart from this feature presumably all that is proveided is a powerline backhaul, with all the potential issues with Powerline data transmission.

For general purpose internet access, I would agree, a Mesh system is a better bet. There is a problem with IP TV though, it uses multicast and wireless doesnt support multicast well (if at all!). So you either need a hard wired connection or Powerline adaptors.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

As the mains cabling is not a twisted pair the electric fields radiated by the Live and Neutral do not cancel out. Especially close to the cable run.
The mains cables act like antennas for the powerline signals.
So if the Telephone wiring carrying the VDSL is close to the Mains cabling, the powerline signal can couple onto the Telephone cabling.
Just like crosstalk between VDSL signals in the Telephone cable bundle.