Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deregistering Plusnet-provided routers

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Deregistering Plusnet-provided routers

Hi Support,
I have a couple of Plusnet-provided ADSL/FTTC routers and wish to sell them on. However, another user (thanks MisterW!) has pointed out to me that I ought to get them deregistered from my account before doing this so could you advise of the correct process to do this? I can PM the serial numbers if that is what you require to help me out.
Many thanks,
Mathew
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Deregistering Plustnet-provided routers

This thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,144496.0.html seems to say you can do it over that chat. It needs the tr069 details removed apparently. I checked on the member centre BTW but couldn't find anywhere to request it.
HTH

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MJN
Pro

Chat did the trick... although I couldn't help but feel that in an attempt to be super helpful some assumptions were being made!
info: You are now chatting with <Agent's Name>.
Me: Hi <Agent's Name>
Agent's Name: Good afternoon, I'm <Agent's Name>. How can I help?
Me: I have four Plusnet-provided routers that I do not need and wish to pass them on to others. However, I have been advised that I ought to get them 'deregistered' in order to avoid any problems relating to the TR69 autoconfiguration that might otherwise apply my login credentials to the routers when used by the new owners?
Agent's Name: Sure, can I take the first and second character of your password please?
Me: # and #
Agent's Name: I'm looking into that for you now
Me: Thanks <Agent's Name>
Agent's Name: Cheers
Agent's Name: Thanks for holding, I have disabled the TR69 option.
Me: Is that all you need to do? Do you not need to know the serial numbers of the specific routers that I am passing on?
Agent's Name: I've disabled the option on the routers we have dispatched on your account (minus the latest router)
Me: Just to make life complicated(!), one or more of these routers may well be registered against my mother-in-law's account (username '########'). I am an authorised representative on her account and so hopefully that is not a problem though?
Me: Do you think it is worth me providing you the serial numbers so as to avoid any ambiguity?
Agent's Name: That won't be a problem, please do
Me: AAAAAAAAAA BBBBBBBBBB CCCCCCCCCC DDDDDDDDDD
Me: Thanks for your help with this - it is most appreciated.
Me: For the avoidance of doubt, the router I am keeping has a serial number of XXXXXXXXXX.
Agent's Name: Thank you, anything else I can support you with today sir?
Me: Just to check - is TR69 enabled on XXXXXXXXXX?
Agent's Name: It is
Me: That's great. Thanks again for your help <Agent's Name>. Hope you have a great weekend.
So, I *think* I am all sorted...!  Undecided
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Hmmm!  Undecided
Well of course you can still always set the username/password manually if any that you're keeping have got the tr069 disabled now Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MJN
Pro

Yeah I should be okay, although looking at the serial numbers it looks like the router I am keeping is actually not the newest but hopefully the agent sorted that out in the end.
What are the consequences of a sold router picking up the previous customer's credentials? Does it really impact on the previous customer's account in as significant a way as it sounds it might?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Re: Deregistering Plusnet-provided routers

Yes. it will connect to the previous customers account and any usage will be logged against it. If you have a static IP then it will either cause chaos ( both connections with the same IP! ) or only allow one connection, I forget which! Undecided  With a dynamic IP both connections will work ok but on the same account.

MJN
Pro

Re: Deregistering Plusnet-provided routers

That certainly sounds pretty painful.