Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Degrading connection over last month

rsmeeton87
Dabbler

Degrading connection over last month

Hi,

I've had plusnet installed since June, and it has been largely stable until now. For the past month or so the router will regularly drop out for 2 minutes, and when it is working I've had increased packet loss. This isn't the service I expect. 

Happy to do any diagnostics, although I don't have a physical phone I can plug in (because it's 2017) 

21 REPLIES 21
rsmeeton87
Dabbler

Re: Degrading connection over last month

Speed test this morning attached.

Please check my line
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@rsmeeton87 Welcome to the forums.

You definitely have a problem there Smiley.

From the upload speed on that speed test, you must be on fibre, and my only recommendation is to follow the guide at the top of the Fibre Broadband sub-forum.

This is unlikely to be picked up by Plusnet staff until Monday.

Sorry I can't advise further as I have no experience with FTTC.

John
rsmeeton87
Dabbler

thanks!

I'm on ADSL. The exchange is approx 20 metres from my house. I'm using the connection both wirelessly and ethernet so it's not a wireless specific issue. 

jab1
Legend

OK - In that case follow the guide at the top of this board.Smiley Wish I could get that upload speed.

Re: the landline phone - they're only £5.00 from e.g Argos, and you really do need one to complete the checks and avoid a 'no fault found' charge from Openreach.

John
rsmeeton87
Dabbler

Why has this thread been moved to the fibre board when I specifically stated I'm on ADSL? 

re: buying a phone - I'd be mildly amused if I'm expected to incur personal expense when attempting to fix a problem Plusnet is liable for. Will await a reply from them 

jab1
Legend

Re the phone suggestion (and I promise I am not trying to be difficult), but without checking that the fault is definitely not with your internal wiring, you would still be liable to the charge.

It would be helpful to know your router stats, details of how to get them are in the aforementioned post

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

There's something totally screwed up here. As far as I am aware the fastest possible ADSL upload speed is around 1.4 Mbps so looking at your screenshot you are either on fibre or the speed tester is screwed up. What speeds did you originally get?

Also if you want a quick resolution with minimum fuss it is best if you try to help yourself with preliminary tests even if it costs a fiver.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

rsmeeton87
Dabbler

I guess I must be on fibre at the exchange, the last 20 metres is definitely coming through a phone line. 

Typical speed is 60 down / 10 up

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 You are totally correct, the OP has no chance of that upload on ADSL, even if he was sat in the exchange.

John
jab1
Legend

@rsmeeton87 So you are definitely on FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet). From your street cab to you is still copper wire.

John
rsmeeton87
Dabbler

Yeah, technically not fibre but fair enough if they want to call it that!

either way it's underperforming 

jab1
Legend

As I said above, it is Fibre to the cabinet FTTC, and yes it is under performing, but to get help here, which may be faster than waiting for PN, we need a bit more data.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems

Testing your line isn't finding any problems and the connection from your router to the cabinet looks relatively stable:

Do you notice the light on the front of the router change colour more regularly than the drops indicated above?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rsmeeton87
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply. Its interesting to see the graph.

Its hard to determine whether it's dropping more than the 1 or 2 times per day that it's showing. I've definitely noticed two drops in the day before.

Is this considered normal? I probably won't continue the service if the connection drops multiple times per day