cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decreasing speedsover the past 10 months

Elwab_the_2nd
Hooked

Decreasing speedsover the past 10 months

Hi, I raised this issue some months ago (think it's long since been archived!), as after signing up last year in May my download speeds have steadily decreased. When i started with Plusnet i did indeed get the initial speeds of over 60mbps, up to mid June, and then they started to decrease.

At the time of the first post i made I was getting in the mid 40s download speed, when I should have been getting around 66-72 with a minimum speed of (i think) 58. The response I got was to run the tests using the master socket, however a combination of laziness (the master socket is in my son's room behind his wardrobe) and still usable speeds meant i never got round to it.

Since then though things have got progressively worse, and now i'm lucky if i get a download speed of more than mid 20's. As i'm paying for the Unlimited Fibre Extra this obviously isn't good enough anymore, so last weekend i bit the bullet and plugged into to master socket, and the results remained the same, around 26mbps. This was tested using wifi as i don't have a wired connection to use.

Can someone please check the line and see what the issue is? I've attached various speed test results, 1 - the master socket tests, 2 - general speeds thoughout February, 3 - The last time I had a speed over 40mbps, and 4 & 5 just some other speed test results to make sure it's not just a Speedtest issue! I've also checked the postcode using the Uswitch broadband package and the original speeds I signed up for are still being offered at my postcode.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Elwab_the_2nd
Hooked

Re: Decreasing speedsover the past 10 months

Hello?

Elwab_the_2nd
Hooked

Is anyone going to answer me? Last time I posted about this I got a reply the same day! At this rate I'll just skip straight to cancellation...
Elwab_the_2nd
Hooked

Bump, again!
Elwab_the_2nd
Hooked

Since it seems I'm never going to get a reply, can ANYONE else tell me how to raise this as a fault? Speed is now down to around 16 and it's frankly unacceptable.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm a customer like yourself, but I'll try to help if I can in the absence of any response fro Plusnet staff.

Firstly, it would help if you could run a speed test from a wired connection if at all possible. If you use the BT wholesale tester and after the initial test run the further diagnostics test, not only will the results be sent to plusnet, but I believe it should also tell you what the minimum fault speed threshold is  below which constitutes a fault. The BT wholesale availability checker should also give this info. Sorry for not providing any links, I'm using a small tablet and not easy to manipulate.

Secondly, to rule out any problems with your router do you have a spare you could try to see if it makes any difference.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Elwab_the_2nd
Hooked

Hi, thanks for the reply, much appreciated! Unfortunately i don't have a computer with an ethernet connection, so it looks like i need to get hold of a usb to ethernet adapter before i can do that...

I do have my xbox one though, so i'm going to dig through all the boxes in the garage and see if i can find an ethernet cable, and see if the speed improves on that.

Elwab_the_2nd
Hooked

OK, so I at least managed to do a test using my Xbox one, wifi and wired... Difference of 2mbps, so although it's not the BT wholesale test i think that at least rules out any issue with the router.

Elwab_the_2nd
Hooked

Still waiting.
Elwab_the_2nd
Hooked

Anyone interested in a sweepstake for when I'll get any sort of reply? I see others that have posted something well after me have had responses, so this may go on a while.