cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decent download speeds, VERY slow upload

theskids
Dabbler

Decent download speeds, VERY slow upload

I'm on Fibre Extra and am quite happy with download speeds - typically in the region of 60Mb/s. However, I've noticed recent issues with the speed of our connection, and having done a few BT wholesale speed tests today, upload speed is measuring very slow - actually coming up as 0 Mb/s on the speed tests. Is it possible this is a line fault? Router is plugged into master socket and computer used for speed test was ethernet connected (although speeds are about the same on a wifi connected computer).

2 REPLIES 2
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Decent download speeds, VERY slow upload

@theskids Are you having problems with using the internet? If your upload speed was actually zero nothing would be working. All your data transfers use both upload and download paths to work correctly. If you can send emails your upload is working.

The BT Wholesale speed test has shown zero upload speed on my line for over a year since activation. I actually have 18 Mbps upload speed.

Try the speedtester on ThinkBroadband .com and you will find that your upload is working.😀

theskids
Dabbler

Re: Decent download speeds, VERY slow upload

Yes - I was having internet problems - slow browsing, for example. I didn't imagine my upload speed was actually 0 Mb/s, just something close to it - I have tried other speedtests, which still measured upload speeds around 0.2 Mb/s

Anyway, I think I've found the issue. I'm using my plusnet router as a modem only, then using a TPLink Deco Mesh system for the wifi. My (wired) network arrangement is Plusnet hub -> Main Deco unit -> Ethernet switch -> Computers/printers

When I took the Deco unit out of the arrangement, upload speeds went up to normal (around 10-20 Mb/s). After rebooting the Deco unit, things seem to be OK now, so that's where the issue must have been.