cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data extension cable

ArthurDent
Grafter

Data extension cable

I know that this topic has been on the forum a few times over the years, but I need to find out the current position, so please forgive any duplication.
We have now contracted with Plusnet for the upgrade from pedal driven to FTTC, and have received the 582n router (I know that's been criticised, but will stick with it initially to avoid any extra installation complications). Installation has been scheduled.
In someone's infinite wisdom the BT master socket was sited in an unbelievably ridiculous place when the house was built 40 years ago. To get round that for the internet, an extension cable was chased in, to the other side of the hallway. That's proved OK for years but I suspect that an openreach guy wouldn't have anything to do with it - not even if I ply him with coffee and chocolate digestives. So I reckon an extension cable from master socket to modem will be required to trail along skirting and round a doorframe, about 5 metres, to where the mains sockets and current router are located.
I read that a friendly openreach engineer should install. Is that right?
Somebody wrote on a thread that it was supplied free. is that still the case? Openreach or PN? It's not been volunteered.
If I have to provision it, what do I need to get?
I see cat5e and RJ11 mentioned?
Male > male?
Anything else I need to be aware of (e.g. quality, there seems a wide price range)?
Many thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Data extension cable

It's usually asked when signing up for a fibre product if you need one.  Even if you say no, Plusnet say in the order that you can have one if you want one.  Because of this Openreach (or there contractor should have one available if you decide you want  one).  I've heard a few times on here that a particular sub-contractor hasn't had them when they should.
Usually though, if you already have a suitable cable that you want them to use, they will use that.  I had a Cat5 cable buried under the floor from the hall to under the stairs which I used as a phone extension.  The engineer used that and rewired my phone and data to under the stairs using that.
I'm not sure what the minimum quality cable is that they would use though.
I hope that helps.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

CW1308 should be the minimum spec cable.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Thanks guys. I wasn't asked, but will pursue with PN to see if they are willing to provide as suggested. Installation is scheduled for Monday week,  03/11, so there should be time.
Interesting, Phil, that you mentioned burying under the floor. That's exactly the situation here, in conduit chased in under a concrete floor. It's worked fine (although whenever we've had a prob I've naturally had to eliminate any possibility by connecting directly to the master socket). Not sure if the 'tails' will be adequate however.
I appreciate that much depends on what mood the engineer is in, but I'll be in serious doodoo with Erin Dors if there's a break in service for days, as others on the forum have experienced for various reasons.
Cheers!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another option is that the engineer could re-use your underfloor cable to drag any new wires through if there is an issue with the type or quality of the existing wire.
NedLudd
Grafter

When OpenReach did me (3 years ago) they used an existing cable to pull through their cable, over the loft, to another room!  Smiley
PS - I live in a bungalow.
Geoff,
York.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Thanks again. Naturally I would much prefer for Openreach to pull through, as you suggested. However, not being sure if that is practical in my circs, I contacted PN, and they have kindly arranged for a note to OR requesting for a 5m cable to be provisioned. A good backstop (assuming OR follow it up).