cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage

bustermissy1961
Grafter

Data Usage

Is there something wrong with Plusnet's Data Usage monitoring because its stating ive used 91.73GB which is impossible as my data resets on the 5th of every month.
17 REPLIES 17
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Data Usage

if you're on fibre it's not impossible.. I've used about 80 since the 5th.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

A lot of the usage is showing between 8am and 10am yesterday where it appears you were maxing the line for pretty much 2 hours straight. On a 70+Mb/s line that's a lot of data transferred.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bustermissy1961
Grafter

But i know what i was doing and it wasn't anywhere near that amount. I know last month there was a notice saying something to the effect that on a certain date my data usage might show as more than normal, i was just wondering if its the same again.
keyholder
Grafter

91Gb is nothing.
Try running skype , Youtube,  Gaming for pretty much 18 hours aday all whilst having other users on the line and see your usage peaks to 1TB per month!!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: bustermissy1961
I know last month there was a notice saying something to the effect that on a certain date my data usage might show as more than normal, i was just wondering if its the same again.

That notice was from 2014 and crept in inadvertently following a software release. It wasn't supposed to be there, and has since been removed.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bustermissy1961
Grafter

All i know is ive never used that amount as ive said i know what i was doing and how much data was being used and at most it was 31GB, minus the streaming of youtube. So god knows where the other has come from. 1TB  Shocked
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

You are taking into account anything you may have *uploaded* as well aren't you? There are days in the month where several GB's of data have been uploaded over the course of the day.
Edit: corrected to read 'days of the month', rather than 'hours of the day', and removed confusing comment about specific hours of the day.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bustermissy1961
Grafter

Yes ive taken into account everything i was doing.
Lesleyann500
Grafter

Probably unlikely that it would cause this much data usage, but are you using Windows 10? By default Windows 10 will seed updates for other people to download.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah, turns out I was confusing daily figures with hourly (have corrected my previous post as a result).
We have two usage collection platforms. One that uses data from the traffic management platform, another that uses data from our RADIUS platform. Looking into it further, it does look like the RADIUS platform shows < 15GB of data transferred on the 8th as opposed to the 80GB+ you see when checking your usage via the website.
The RADIUS platform does discard a lot of usage in certain scenarios, and there are isolated instances that can cause inflated usage on the traffic management platform. Your daily usage seems to have dropped significantly since though? Regardless, I'd suggest a quick disconnect/reconnect when you get the opportunity to renew your RADIUS/traffic management subscriptions. That should iron out any problems that may be lurking.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bustermissy1961
Grafter

Quote from: Lesleyann500
Probably unlikely that it would cause this much data usage, but are you using Windows 10? By default Windows 10 will seed updates for other people to download.

No im just using windows 7 but that is disturbing to know regarding windows 10.
bustermissy1961
Grafter

@Bob Pullen thanks for clearing that up its much appreciated, i thought i was going nuts.
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: bustermissy1961
No im just using windows 7 but that is disturbing to know regarding windows 10.

Only people on your network, I believe.
Saves 3 computers in your house all downloading the same files.
bustermissy1961
Grafter

I Only the one PC