cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Extension Kit?

DougMacp
Dabbler

Data Extension Kit?

Hi we're getting fibre installed next week and I wondered what the Data Extension Kit consists of? I'm wondering if they use the best equipment/cables possible or if I should buy alternatives or if it's even worthwhile doing so.
Checking online it looks like...
1. filtered faceplate applied to BT main socket
2 extension cable to secondary socket - I'm expecting cat 5e cable and it being hardwired into the main socket and then hardwired into the extension socket - is that unreasonable or is that the likely process?
3. dsl cable from secondary socket to back of Home Hub 5 as no modem required.
Can anyone confirm if this is correct or confirm the type/quality of the components?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Starmans
Grafter

Re: Data Extension Kit?

It'll be an unfiltered extension utilising CW1308 (Although they have been known to use CAT5 in the past) cable connected to the SSFP and to an extension socket wherever you'd like it located within approx 30m. Note though depending on the engineer they won't drill holes thought walls and it'll be clipped to skirting so if you have a preferred route then perhaps run it yourself.
DougMacp
Dabbler

Thanks. 8 - 10 metre extension at most. Would I gain anything by providing the installer with cat 5e cable or is it just a waste of my money?
Starmans
Grafter

Given the length honestly no. But for me personally I wanted to hide the cabling away and not have it clipped to skirting.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@Doug - I installed my own CAT6 cable prior to the engineer arriving so I could run it under the floor and it wouldn't be seen. I think the CW1308 cable the extension kit uses will be perfectly adequate as compared to CAT5e cable (the CW1308 is twisted pair as well). The only reason for using your own cable is if you are going to pre-install it for a neater job.
Definitely ask the installer to connect the end of the cable (master socket end) into the AB (unfiltered terminals) of the master socket. It is so much neater (as has been stated, the installer will just tack around skirting boards etc).
Lastly, you may want to invest in a twisted pair RJ11 to RJ11 patch cable for the connection from the extension socket to the modem. Belkin make one that is quite cheap and easily obtained. The one provided with the OpenReach modem is a flat cable (non twisted pair).