Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily connection drops, upload speed terrible, download speed poor/variable

FIXED
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Daily connection drops, upload speed terrible, download speed poor/variable

I'm on FTTC and had little problems for years. Initially I was getting 60-70Mbps down and 20Mpbs up as I'm fairly close to the cabinet.

Recently something has changed and the connection drops frequently during the day, often middle of the day in a working week which is a problem when working from home. Upload speed frequently drops to around 0.5Mbps, and download can be between 45Mbps and almost 0!

If I manually reboot the Wholesale modem and the Technicolor router, I can get it up to 45Mbps but upstream around 5Mpbs but often drops to 0.5.

Occasionally when the connection drops, if I pick up the phone I can hear a bit of crackling.

I've tried removing the faceplate and connecting direct to the test socket and I get the speed attached (45.15 down, 0.72 up). I've not left it to check connection drop, but I've replaced the faceplate and only had the broadband connected, no phone line and still it dropped connection and speeds dropped to almost zero.

I've made no changes to any of my equipment/wiring (there are no extensions, just Wholesale modem connected direct to socket at short distance and landline phone and as said tested with that disconnected).

17 REPLIES 17
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Daily connection drops, upload speed terrible, download speed poor/variable

Is there cracking on your line without your router plugged in? Also if you plug your phone into the test socket is there still crackling?

deadkenny
Rising Star

The crackling is only occasional and it's not been doing it today yet still the connection is dropping frequently. I've tried phone direct to the test socket and just sounds the same.

On reboot of router I can get download back up to around 45Mbps, but upload is a problem at often 0.5Mbps, and then download will drop to around 10Mbps.

This makes it very difficult for work. As a software developer I rely on upstream traffic to remote servers and cloud services.

My service is stated as

• Product: Unlimited Fibre
  • Estimated Download Range: 56 - 72Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 17 - 18Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 50Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 42.4Mbps

But that isn't what I'm getting, plus there are the frequent connection drops.

While I said I've had little issues for years, in the past at times when I did, more so pre-Fibre, it usually turned out to be a loose connection in the green box down the road.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@deadkenny  It looks like you have line fault. You probably won't get quick staff help on the forum,  raise a fault by phoning customer service or online at https://faults.plus.net

deadkenny
Rising Star

Yeah that's in progress.

deadkenny
Rising Star

Also noticed I don't always get a 'PPP link down' in the router log. Sometimes I get a full connection drop with red light and PPP down but some times connection is down on any device (Both Ethernet and wifi) briefly (half a minute) and back again and nothing logged.

deadkenny
Rising Star

Had an Openreach engineer appointment along with loads of texts/calls confirming the appointment and that I'm not Covid positive, and I'll definitely be in between 1 and 6. Wait all day, no sign of anyone turning up 🤷‍♂️.

Though I know they may not have needed to come inside, but some kind of "yes we've sorted it" or otherwise would be good.

Anyway, connection last dropped on Monday, still only 45 down, 6 up, loads of crackling on line yesterday morning while making a call but that's cleared up.

And now I'm getting these in the router logs...

[CWMP] Connection Request NOT ALLOWED

Which on searching seems to be related to connection issues when trying to connect to PlusNet management server or something, but these don't occur during 'PPP' drops. These get logged as high severity and my logs are sent to my NAS log server which now keeps bugging me with alerts because of it (though I can turn off the alerts).

deadkenny
Rising Star

Edit: just seen ticket shows engineer missed appointment.

Oddly phone rang in a continuous tone a couple of times this morning, like something was being unplugged and reconnected or something. Anyway, it's now worse than before. Rebooted modem and router, still bad. About 15 down and barely over 0 up.

deadkenny
Rising Star

This is going nowhere. Ticket still open and nothing happening. Sad

Davejplatt
Hooked

You need Openreach to fix your line. You'll need to keep on at your supplier until it's escalated and Openreach send out someone who is competent. First contact with Openreach is usually a contractor (You wouldn't know it's a contractor they drive Openreach vans) whose job it is to fob you off with excuses.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Davejplatt You obviously had bad experiences, but most OR engineers are just that - if they are subcontractors they don't drive OR liveried vehicles, but ones carrying their company name and a 'working on behalf of/with OpenReach.

John
Davejplatt
Hooked

Contractors vans have the Openreach logo in large lettering. That's what people see when they look at the van. I've had nothing but bad experiences with Openreach. I'm not here to argue the toss with other posters, I just want to make customers aware that in many cases Openreach are creating their problem. They are a bad company with an appalling customer service record. I'm not the only one who thinks that, just take a look at their reviews. You'll be hard pressed to find a good one.

Openreach are not directly accountable to customers, get paid per job and have a monopoly on the work. They have no incentive to do a good job. In fact it benefits them to do a crummy job and at that they excel.

jab1
Legend

CONTRACTORS vans are clearly not OR branded - unless for some strange reason they are in your area - highly unlikely, TBH.

Admittedly, the BT Group still operate as if they were the Post Office Telephones of old, but my experience of the 'guys on the ground' - and I've had quite a bit, is that the vast majority (not all, admittedly) do try to do the best for the end-users.

John
Davejplatt
Hooked

The numerous bad reviews of Openreach are evidence of how poor a company they are. Nothing more needs be said.
jab1
Legend

🤐

John