Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily connection drop at night [Solved]

pablogaralv
Dabbler

Daily connection drop at night [Solved]

Hello there,
I've been a customer of PlusNet for around 4 or 5 months now. Overall I am very happy with the service and the speed.
But lately, I've been experiencing a quite annoying issue: every day, at night (roughly at 10pm or so) our connection drops for a couple of minutes or 3...both on wifi and ethernet (so discard it is a problem with the wifi).
I've checked the network status: http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=maintenance&ispservice_id=adsldial
and I see there are some maintenance works being done, but I couldn't find none in my area (Stamford Hill / Seven Sisters, North London).
This is quite annoying as I only enjoy my connection in the evening/night (I am working from 9am to 7pm), and specially frustrating when playing video games online, as you could imagine.
Can I ask for more information about this issue? Like, is it truly the maintenance works what is causing me all this trouble? If so, when will they end? If not, how can we further troubleshoot this?
Thank you in advance.
[Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Title changed as requested]
6 REPLIES 6
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Daily connection drop at night

It seems to have been the past few days.

You're not using Avast by any chance are you?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
pablogaralv
Dabbler

Hello Matthew,
thank you for your answer.
I am using Avast! on my desktop when on Windows 8.1 (I have dual boot with Ubuntu) but I experience the issue in both OS, and also my raspberry pis lost connection, as well as my phones. As I said, on ethernet the drop is less annoying (for some reason I can't understand), but the wifi drops a bit longer, say a couple of minutes..
I see on that graph that there's been quite a few connection drops...shall we expect this for a long time? or is it going to stop at some point? Also, is it related to the area I live or to the entire PlusNet network?
Thank you.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Can you try doing this?
Go to AVAST Settings > Tools and set Home Network Security to OFF.
We've seen this cause issues that look similar to the one you're having.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
pablogaralv
Dabbler

Ok will do that tonight and monitor my network for a few days afterwards.
I'll update the topic then.
Thank you again Matthew.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem let's see if it sorts this out for you.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
pablogaralv
Dabbler

Completely forgot to update this back in the day.... Sad
Yes, disabling that on Avast! did the trick for this issue. No more daily drops.
If I can I'll edit the topic's title with "[Solved]" or similar.
Thanks.
Edit: I can't Sad If a moderator sees this, then feel free to edit the title with the prefix "Solved" or whatever you like. Ta