Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Connection Dropouts

Horrox342
Dabbler

Daily Connection Dropouts

Good morning all.
We seem to be having daily Dropouts with our Fibre. Happens up to 5 times a day and is a real pain in the backside.
No set time for when it happens.
We have wired and wireless connections, and 1 WiFi extender plug thing, these all lose connection when it happens. Light on router turns red and takes a good few minutes to come back on.

Any ideas guys? Thanks 😊
31 REPLIES 31
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Daily Connection Dropouts

Hi @Horrox342 

If it is not already and as a test, I would recommend plugging the router into the BT test socket behind the master socket.

A guide is at: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Regards

Richard

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome to our community forums @Horrox342 Smiley

Line tests aren't showing any issues but I can see your connection's been dropping

Drilling down into the logs our end, it looks like your router's forgetting the password it needs to connect to the internet as we can see a lot of password incorrect attempts. I've given things a kick this side, can you factory reset the router by pushing a paper clip into the reset pin hole at the back for 20 seconds?

Let us know how it goes and if there are further issues afterwards

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Horrox342
Dabbler

Thanks for looking into it 😊 I've reset the router as you said, will monitor over next few days and see how it is. Is a Home plug likely to affect it at all?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problem and I wouldn't have thought so. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Horrox342
Dabbler

Had a few dropouts today again, and my speed seems to have dropped dramatically to around 5mbps as of right now. Any other suggestions before the router has a flight lesson? 🙄😂
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey there @Horrox342,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues again. Having had a look at the connection this evening, I can see that the drops seem to have started up again from yesterday morning. Did anything happen around this time that could have caused them to occur? Additionally, have you have had the chance to set the router up within the test socket in the property as suggested earlier in the thread?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Horrox342
Dabbler

Hey.

We do nothing different throughout the day to have an impact on the connection. My wife is at home on Maternity leave so general usage through the day is the likes of Netflix/Disney+/Catchup TV, all of which are being interrupted throughout the day.

I've not had chance to test the master socket as yet, will do when I get a spare moment to do so.

Are there any other factors that may cause the issues we're having?

Thanks.
Horrox342
Dabbler

*update

Have plugged into the 'test' socket under the faceplate. How long do you recommend keeping it plugged in there for?
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @Horrox342. It's best to leave it in there over the course of the next few days and see how it performs. If it continues to drop out then just let us know on here so that we can continue with our investigation Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Horrox342
Dabbler

Hi again, few more dropouts today reported by the wife. Done a full reset of everything once I've got home, checked all wires/filter etc...all seems fine. Any issues showing on your end? Thanks.
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,

I can only see the one drop at around 12 earlier today and then again when you've rebooted it after getting home. Do you know if your wife manually rebooted the router when she was experiencing issues with the connection earlier today?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Horrox342
Dabbler

Hi, no she did not reboot at all today, only when I came home. Have just experienced yet another dropout just now. Getting more and more frustrated that this keeps occurring, yet everything seems to be fine on your end? Where can I go from here?
Horrox342
Dabbler

*update* 20:24, another dropout.

Need this resolving. My wife studies online as part of her teacher training in the evenings, these dropouts are not helping.

Advice please before this becomes unbearable.
Horrox342
Dabbler

Reporting more dropouts last night and this morning. I have a child at home taking part in online classes, this is impossible with the issues we have. Can someone please advise?