Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWP as ISP??

FIXED
Bix
Dabbler

DWP as ISP??

Hello,

I recently purchased a Chromebook and installed a few apps, one of which lets me know who is on my wifi.  The strangest thing is that when I press the Networks button at the bottom of the app, the DWP comes up as my ISP.  even with a VPN, it still shows up when I press Network.

Does anyone have any clue as to why this is happening, please?  Or are the govt. just hacking into all our computers these days?

I tried calling Plusnet but the queue will probably take me into next year so I came here instead.

Any help/advice appreciated.  Thank you.

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DWP as ISP??

@Bix Welcome to the Forum. From what you say I'd take a guess that one of the apps you installed is to be suspected here, assuming of course that you weren't shipped a 'refurbished' disguised as a new one.

It might be worth while doing a factory reset just to see if the DWP network is there and if not add the App one by one checking each time after installation.

Bix
Dabbler

Many thanks, Mook, I'll try it tomorrow as I have to go out now.  Fingers crossed.  It is definitely a new laptop, it was purchased from Littlewoods and has a warranty, etc.

Thank you for the advice and the welcome.

Bix
Dabbler

Hello Mook,

I reset Chromebook and added bit by bit and, unfortunately, it is still there.  Have called Plusnet tech dept and the chap said he couldn't say what was going on.

Have to say it rather freaks me out to think these people might be watching all I do online.

Any further advice/help would be deeply welcome.

Thank you,

Bix

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bix, when you reset the Chromebook did you check to see if the DWP network was there before adding your Apps? Are you able to take some screen captures of this network? I find the whole thing quite odd to be honest, are you sure there is no misunderstanding in what you are seeing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bix
Dabbler

I installed Fing first and it showed p as DWP.

This is my third attempt at giving the info.  

Network setup                                                                                            192.168.1.0/24

Wi-fi nominal speed                                                                                    100 MB/s

Local address                                                                                             have kept private if you don't mind

Type                                                                                                            Wireless Network

Internet Provider                                                                                         

ISP                                                                                                              Department for Work and Pensions

ISP                                                                                                              51.38.83.172

Hostname                                                                                                   172,ip-51-38-83-eu

Also found this on Google Search:https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Your-ISP-UK-Government-Department-for-...

Bix
Dabbler

Didn't know you'd received that post, it disappeared from my sight.  Well, something smells in the State of Denmark - or should I say, England?Huh

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Your-ISP-UK-Government-Department-for-...  still showing from my bookmarks?

Bix

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): 3 posts released from Spam Filter.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Anonymous wrote:

That's odd @Bix, your post citing this:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Your-ISP-UK-Government-Department-for-Work-and-Pensions/td-p/1447059

Has gone!

Still there for me.

Rhyn
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fix

A large number of IPv4 addresses, that DWP owned, released to general use?

Maybe you have one of these and something somewhere has not updated itself?

See here.

Rhyn
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Oops, answered already.

Bix
Dabbler

Thank you, Rhyn.  It does goes a little way to explaining the problem but I am still awfully suspicious.  I shall keep on looking but I wish to thank all who have tried to help, it is very much appreciated!  Smiley

Bix
Dabbler

Hello Mark,

I apologise for that, I don't know what happened.  Yes, if you could remove two of the same posts that would be most kind.  Thanks again.  I'm new to this Forum and am still learning.  Cheers.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Bix If you let me know the 'message numbers' of the posts you want removing I will remove them.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine