cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLAM live but no fibre offer

vierne
Dabbler

DSLAM live but no fibre offer

I've watched the installation of DSLAM to the local exchange (Langport) and according to Code Look the DSLAM to my cabinet (P1) is live and my postcode is covered. Using the Openreach checker (and Plusnet upgrade checker) however, no FTTC offer is available to my number. I've checked other numbers with different postcodes on the same cabinet and they have the FTTC offer; these postcodes however are much closer to the cabinet.
I'd like to know what the situation is here. Am I too far from the cabinet to get VDSL?I've looked at the VDSL distance/speed chart and reckon even at the worst case we should still get 8-10 MB/s on VDSL which would already be a big improvement on the 3MB/s or so we get now on ADSL2. It is utterly frustrating - and random  - that villages not much further away from the exchange are getting the full 80MB/s simply because they have a local cabinet, whereas I imagine when my village was connected sometime pre-war it was convenient to put the cabinet about 200m from the exchange. There must be many in the same situation.
10 REPLIES 10
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: DSLAM live but no fibre offer

Was it the BT DSL checker that you used? If so and it's showing you connected to that Cab then the chances are that your speed estimates are too low for FTTC.
How do your "3Mbps" current speeds compare to the estimated speed and the range given by the checker?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

It looks like the estimate for your line on Fibre is too low for it to show as a available upgrade.
I've checked another system and the estimated speed is between 0.1mbps and 1mbps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
vierne
Dabbler

Utterly depressing. Is there any action to be taken to get Openreach to to consider installing a local DSLAM? Who does one contact?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Superfast Broadband in your area would be a start
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Try going through http://www.connectingdevonandsomerset.co.uk/
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
vierne
Dabbler

Already been there - no interest as their responsibility stops as soon as the cabinet is enabled.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

VDSL /  FTTC works  (sometimes ) up to about 1.5 miles from the cabinet .
http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance
I'm 1.3 miles from the green cab and I can sometimes  get 10Mb/s. The engineer who installed it was surprised it worked at all . However this is 5 to 6 times faster than my previous ADSL 2, so I am more than happy - when I get those speeds.
I'm less happy when I don't get that max speed -  like today when it has dropped to 3mb/s but there will be a reason -- finding it can be a long winded but tiresome process .
I need to report a problem!

FurstyFerret
Hooked

My parents were able to force a BT order for fibre and they live over a mile from the cabinet.  They used to get about 4mbps over ADSL and with fibre they're up to 12.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: vierne
Already been there - no interest as their responsibility stops as soon as the cabinet is enabled.

I don't think that is true. Contact your district and county councillors and kick up a fuss.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
XenoGuy
Grafter

I'm in a similar boat.... My cabinet isn't FTTC enabled, nor ever will according to OR, which is just yards away from me..... Thing is, my road has 2 different post codes, and the other side of the road's post code reveals that they're on a different cabinet which is in the motion (in scope) of being upgraded to FTTC. Talk about confused dot com.