cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL checker confusion and not sure whether im getting the right speeds - looking for help

sl33pyb0y
Hooked

DSL checker confusion and not sure whether im getting the right speeds - looking for help

hi there,

i don't particularly understand broadband as well as i should but I've been doing some research in the last few weeks on speeds and whether I'm getting what I'm paying for.

I'm subscribed to Plusnet's Unlimited Fibre package having just moved.

these are my broadband speed details:

• Product: Unlimited Fibre
  • Estimated Download Range: 16 - 25Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 2.5 - 4Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 14.1Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 16Mbps

these are all fine, only after having an engineer come out to fix the line as we were having low speeds but now we are getting better than our minimum.

But i'm confused about BT's DSL checker which gives me this data (attatched)

Is there anyone who could help me understand this and let me know whether A. im getting speeds which are backed up by this 'dsl checker' or B. i could even opt for a faster braodband with Plusnet if i have access to FTTP, although it does say not available after the table but says available in the table?

Many Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: DSL checker confusion and not sure whether im getting the right speeds - looking for help

FTTP on Demand is where you pay BT to come and install FTTP only to your house - this will likely cost many £1000's and then have an expensive monthly contract.
it's not the same FTTP that would be sold as a consumer product.

The figures you want to be looking at are the VDSL ranges at the top of the image and your figures look to be within that range.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
sl33pyb0y
Hooked

Re: DSL checker confusion and not sure whether im getting the right speeds - looking for help

Thanks for such a quick reply.

So as I’m getting 16mbps does this mean my line is likely faulty as that is the minimum speed of an impacted line?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

The handback is at 15mbps so you're not quite there, 4th column on the image.

You can try and raise a fault at https://faults.plus.net but not sure how far it will go in the current climate.
Also are your tests on wired or wireless? Testing wired gives a better idea of speed, wireless is not wholly reliable for speed tests
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@sl33pyb0y 

If the speed is the rate that the modem is talking to the cabinet (dslam) then if there is no fault, it would suggest you are too far from the dslam.

Your internet connection is part copper and part fibre optic.

Ideally you should be under 1000 metres from the dslam to get a service in excess if that you would achieve with the adsl based service (no fibre), but this is being phased out.

Both adsl and vdsl use radio waves to propagate down the wire, with all the attendant problems associated with this mechanism.

FTTP is fibre from the property to the equipment and does not suffer these issues.

If the speed is via a speed checker then  depending on how you carry this out will reflect the speed, ideally you need to be connected to the router via cable and not be using wifi.

It is apparent that many subscribers are too far from the dslam due to the way the service was setup.

You could request and place on the community a GEA test, this will assist in determining if there is an issue with the line, or another problem such as interference.

EdWeasley
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Hi @sl33pyb0y,

Thank you for taking your time to get in touch.

I am very sorry that you are having a problem with our service. In regards to the account the username linked to the forum is not linked to an account. To discuss the details further please contact our support team on 08004320200 which at this time are open between 9am until 6pm. Alternatively you can raise this at https://faults.plus.net and a member of our faults team will get back to you as soon as we can.

Kind regards,

Josh

Josh Berriman
 Plusnet Help Team