cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS servers?

Walter
Rising Star

DNS servers?

I've had trouble in the past with DNS servers dropping my connection.  Mostly it gets resolved by rebooting the router and refreshing the connection.
However during the summer, over a period of a few weeks, I was repeatedly rebooting several times a day,  to get my connection back.
Fed up I edited the settings and switched to Gogle servers and I've not had the problem since!
Was there another solution?  What was the problem?
6 REPLIES 6
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: DNS servers?

I'm not aware of any problems, which servers were you using?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Was it actually dropping the connection, or was it just that you couldn't reach any sites by name? Did you try accessing sites by IP?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Walter
Rising Star

Thanks for your response.
Firstly, I was using the recommended servers, I guess the ones ending .6 and .7
Secondly I could not get the sites my name address, never thought of trying Ip direct (if I could fine any to use)
Rebooting would return back to normal but on some days that would not last half an hour.  Changing the name servers has been 100% stable since mid July 2014.
WWWombat
Grafter

At some point a few years back, I had a similar problem where DNS requests would stop working, at least partially. Some images would be missing from a webpage, etc.
At the time, my router was set to automatically pick up the DNS servers from Plusnet.
In the end I solved it by setting the DNS servers to specific addresses - but just copying the same PN server addresses that would have been set automatically anyway. Hey presto - problem solved. But no idea why.
I can't remember the router model; possibly a Netgear DG834 or DG834GT.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When I was using a DG834v1 I found it needed rebooting after 3-6 months as it stopped responding to DNS requests. I put the Plusnet DNS servers in to the PCs network configuration - issue solved.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Walter
Rising Star

Thank you Jelv and wwwWombat. I too prefer to enter the fixed addresses rather than Auto.