cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS server(s) query

Mobo

DNS server(s) query

Hi there. I have my DNS settings correctly configured in my router (as per https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-dns-server-and-website-settings/) and have had no issues for many years. However, today I checked my DNS servers via a couple of online services (ipleak.net, www.whatsmydnsserver.com etc) and, no matter which of these sites I used, my DNS servers were reported as 217.46.25.20, 217.46.25.17, 217.46.25.19 and 217.46.25.18. All of these IPs report as being owned by Plusnet.

I have no interest in the "leak" aspect of this, but are the above IPs correct? When I do an ipconfig /all in a windows console my DNS servers are reported as found on the Plusnet link above (212.159.13.49, 212.159.13.50 etc). 

The DNS checking websites show the above 217.46.25.XX IPs no matter if I set my router to use Plusnet's primary or seconday DNS servers.

Thanks for any info.

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: DNS server(s) query

I get the same results using both links. Must be a redirect somewhere in Plusnet’s network.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: DNS server(s) query

@Mobo   @Champnet 

You are getting two things confused. The IP addresses in your first paragraph are some of the dynamic addresses of the Plusnet servers  that are used when your hub connects to the Internet. If you like, the ones selected by the 

@plusdsl.net part of the hub connection username. The other two are the DNS servers used when you do a search with your web browser.

There is nothing to worry about.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'