Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS server connection is lost 1-3 times a day

FIXED
fredmoss44

DNS server connection is lost 1-3 times a day

Hi 

I switched to Fibre in October , have been working at home since mid -March and since then almost everyday between 1 and 3 times a day i lose the connection to the DNS server (Which i cant change easily as my plusnet router doesnt let me) The line stays up as if I am in a zoom call or something then it doesnt fail but i cant access any new webpage or connection and my MS teams link breaks.

I had a new router last week but the problem still occurs. It occurs to all the devices in my house eg xbox, laptop, desktop pc and smart tv.

Has anybody else had similar issues. Plusnet seem unable to fix it., and because i cant try another dns address easily, it is hard to show that it is their DNS server which is the problem. 

thanks

Fred

4 REPLIES 4
fredmoss44

Re: DNS server connection is lost 1-3 times a day

sorry i should have added the only way to get it back is to reboot the router. time doesnt seem to help (well we have waited 40 minutes at most)

Fred

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Fix

@fredmoss44 

Rather than use the router DNS settings you can select alternatives on your computer. For windows see: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-pcs-dns-settings-windows-10

I would use the control panel option and start by using Goggle on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. These settings will over-ride the Hub default settings when using the computer.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

fredmoss44

Thanks for the suggestion

will this override them for all the devices that use the hub (and need redoing each time )

i did try this once but found a new mobile phone could then not connect to the wireless so didnt try it again.

thanks

Fred

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@fredmoss44 

It Is device specific. It will lock in and keep the pc locked to your choice of DNS server. Other devices will still use the Hub default ones. It might be worth trying to see if it solves your problem on the pc.

If you want to buy a budget Hub that allows you to choose your DNS servers that will work for all devices then go onto an auction site such as EBay and get a Business BT Smarthub 6. Note that the residential versions do not have this capability. Setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'