Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS change ?

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

DNS change ?

Having been surfing around the posts here I've noticed a few recommending changing DNS to Google or Open.
My fibre connection isn't brilliant due to being on an ally estate and I've got an 800 metre line to the cabinet. As a result the engineer reported 58mbps being pushed out from the cabinet is down to 17mbps when it reaches me.
I know it's not going to be massive and I have no issues but would it be worth looking at changing DNS servers from PN?
Years ago when I was with another provider on ADSL I used to get another 1Mbps using OpenDNS which at the time was a 15% speed increase.
Let's be careful out there !
6 REPLIES 6
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: DNS change ?

I doubt you'll see any difference, but there's no reason why you can't try.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Some of the trouble seems to be with the DNS server within the Technicolor router. You can avoid that by setting your computer to use the Plusnet DNS servers. So it can make a difference where you change the DNS settings.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Changing the DNS setting will not increase file download speed.
What it may or may not do is make pages load quicker while browsing.
If you're getting slow or interrupted page loads then give it a try.
Instructions for changing the dns setting in a technicolor router:
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#dnsr8
Alternatively there's a telnet script to make the task easier:
http://npr.me.uk/dns-script.zip
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not using the PN router so I'll leave it as it is.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

17mbps on a 800 metre line doesn't sound so great.  Undecided
My line is reported as 950 metre and I'm getting a sync of 25mbps down and 1.8mbps up.
The reason mine is so bad is the phone lines are mostly aluminum which absolutely hammers my upstream speed.
Have you checked your estimated speed from here
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Yes and I'm within limits.
Apparently the estate is fully ally which isn't in ducts so won't be replaced unless absolutely necessary. The engineer was explaining that from the cabinet there are a number of unbroken cables that go to various '100 cabinets' around the estate. From these is the wire to outside your house.
He reckons that the cabinet is pushing out 58, it's down to 26 at the 100 cabinet and then down to 20 outside. He said that the very short run (25 metres) from the 100 to my house losing 6mbps means that that cable is quite bad. My short copper to the master socket is dropping just 1. From that 19 I'm seeing 17 or 18.