cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS TP Link Problems

vendetta
Rising Star

DNS TP Link Problems

Although I can connect to PlusNet with the TP-LINK Archer VR200 AC750  router using the usual quick set up VLAN 101 and my username and password I cannot seem to change the DNS !  Although available when I connect having to use PPPoE and VLAN ID has to be enabled to get a connection I cannot seem to change the DNS at all , almost like it is locked to PlusNet DNS only . I can see that I can set up the router using a choice of Dynamic or Static or PPPoE and really don't get why I cannot change the DNS.
I have never struggled back in the past of changing a DNS in any router company supplied or 3rd party, except on their home Hub One which you cannot change the DNS.

Being a 3rd party router and an up to date TP LINK including firmware etc it should be a breeze, but alas' not the case, it is driving me nuts Cheesy  that I cannot seem to get the DNS to change, if I so wish.
I would really appreciate anybody with the knowledge on this or if it is because I have to use the quick set up, as other options for set up are there like in the advanced section, where am I going wrong? or is the problem caused because I am using the quick set up with VLAN ID 101 PPPoE and it locks the DNS.
This has me baffled usually it is as simple as entering the Network section then LAN where all is shown there, then change DNS and save but even doing this and saving then restart still on the Network info shows DNS servers as PlusNets. I am  Shocked Cheesy Embarrassed

adie:orange removed all caps title as per link:rules ]
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: DNS TP Link Problems

Hi, from looking at the manual,  what you are doing with the LAN settings should work. Sounds like the DNS settings fro the DHCP serever are being overwritten by those obtained from the PPPoE connection. The manual's not very good but have you tried going  to  Advanced >Network >Internet and seeing if it's possible to set the DNS manually for the PPPoE connection rather than use the ISP supplied ones ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

usually one of the bits of information that the ppp negotiation returns is the prefered DNS host. Now I suspect that the router is using this to set the default DNS - which seems reasonable to me.
What do you want to change the default DNS? Is there a known problem with the plusnet provided DNS?
ANyway if you have to change it, wouldn't it be easier just to change the DNS on the computer you are using. Alas I don't know how to do this in windows. In Linux, just edit the /etc/resolv.conf file (not that an many distributions this is linked else where, so it auto updates ....)
vendetta
Rising Star

Well after going nuts ranting  Angry  and raving  Tongue as I am sure we all do at times lol  Grin .. I made my 4th cup of coffee talking to myself in the kitchen with comments like ''OMG am I thick or what?'
Then sitting down again and having another go, trying to be patient as I could be, as there is nothing on the web/net to show you how to do the change except for old TP LINKS  even on TP LINKS own site for this new router the Archer V200 AC750.. I starred at the screen  Shocked  then BAM Brain Neurons fired and kicked in  Roll_eyes  and I sussed it..  Cool  yayyy lol
So Pic to show where to go included in this post and thanks to those who responded.  Wink

vendetta
Rising Star

PS Thanks Summers. Reason for change is I don't find PN DNS very reliable and also quite slow and there has been major problems in the past with them and they have gone down so handy to know how to change DNS etc, as well as that I use NameBench to find safest and fastest DNS, be that wide or local and my local is 130% faster than PN..
Thanks  Wink Hope that answers your question. All best
SteadVex
Grafter

if it makes you feel better I have a TP Link W9880, I changed the DNS server when I first had it, then almost a year later I went to change it again after a factory reset, took me more than one night to figure out how to do it, I don't think TP Link have got the GUI quite spot on...Do like the routers mind.
I've also noticed the one we use in work is several firmware revisions newer than the instructions, nothing matches up with the guides!!!