cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS,Server and latency issues.

schrimy

DNS,Server and latency issues.

I upgraded to fast fibre about 18 months ago. The WiFi signal was not as good with my new router, as it was with the old technicolour. However the tech boys tried their best, but its still not as good, even though I have moved the router to three different places in my house. They also sent me a new router, same issues.  I have even bought a signal booster , which has made it a bit better but not much.

Now I have a different problem. When I try to connect to one of my game sites, I get and 'error 65' message,which relates to the fact that the DNS cannot find the server address, apparently. I've tried changing the DNS settings to the google public ones, but the issue still remains. Customer services referred me here. Now, I have spent some tine reading similar posts. and in one case the issue was resolved by Plusnet assigning a static IP address. (i've no idea what that means). does anyone know how to achieve this?

I realise this will not solve the wifi range issue, I am going to unlatch the 2.4 and 5mhz channels and see if that makes any difference. 

Here's  hoping.

9 REPLIES 9
Bojang1
Grafter

Re: DNS,Server and latency issues.

Hi, I am a plusnet user. I also have a static IP don't see how it can help your gaming issue. Whats the address you are trying to connect to. 

Bojang1
Grafter

Are you using a Games console or PC. Your device might have cached the previous DNS call. When did you change the DNS? If you have only just done that try rebooting the router and restart the PC / Games console. 

schrimy

I don't actually know the server address. I have reset the DNS settings on the network adaptor, and used a Google public DNS. Everything else works fine, Facebook, BBC etc. But not the game site. The game is world of tanks, blitz. I've used it for almost two years no issues until last week.
schrimy

Its a windows 10 laptop. I've reset the DNS config in the adaptor. Makes no difference.
Bojang1
Grafter

When you say network adapter do you mean your PC or the router. 

Bojang1
Grafter

So for Google DNS you tried 8.8.8.8 

Bojang1
Grafter

Try entering an incorrect number like 1.2.3.4.5.6 then try and load a new website you have not been to before, just to check the DNS you are updating is working. If it is the page should not load.

schrimy

Yes did that, wrong numbers, nothing loaded. Used the 8.8.8.8 for Google. still cab get all other pages except the game server. I have to admit its a bit beyond me. but I do enjoy trying these things out. I'm just working on this issue at the moment. then I shall have a look at the poor wifi coverage and the latency issues. hey ho!

Bojang1
Grafter

Odd... I suspect it's nothing to do with Google DNS then. But you could try Cloudflare's DNS which is 1.1.1.1