cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS/Routing issues for the last 36 hours

allanmc

Re: DNS/Routing issues for the last 36 hours

I've been having very similar problems, over the same sort of time period, which I have proved to be due to me using a 3rd party DNS server. I have discovered that if I revert to using the default Plusnet DNS servers things seem to be OK. If I try Google, OpenDNS or DNS.Watch, internet connectivity goes bananas and things get very jittery and there can be DNS errors in my browser tabs. If I put the Plusnet routers back in things immediately settle down again. I've tried this a few times today and there is a definite drop off when using any of the 3rd party DNS services mentioned. 

So, my suggestion is that you try using the Plusnet DNS service and see if that helps.

My question is why on earth would this be happening? It's taken me quite a while to figure out what the source of the problem is and, having had problems before with ISP DNS services, would prefer to use OpenDNS and Google for my DNS servers.

Have Plusnet done something to stop us using 3rd party DNS services?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

It appears to be a side effect of some customers who have been moved onto our new network using a certain IP address range, causing DNS problems should they use any DNS server but our own. Our network engineers are working to resolve the issue as soon as they can. Once it's resolved you should be able to go back to configuring your own DNS settings.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

I have tried every DNS server on the planet, including the old plusnet DNS servers that i was advised to use by a plusnet tech, it makes no difference.

matthewwalton

I'm not sure it't that simple - only that I am using your servers - since I haven't changed them and that is what the router says at the moment & the service is showing all the issues everyone else has in this post. Slow, DNS/resolving names failure. Inability to do simple things like watch streaming stuff on the TV or browse the internet. 

Unhappy.....! (& an unhappy wife which is even worse!)

nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Just changed back to the standard plusnet dns servers again and guess what, the issues are still there...

jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Anoush but a lot of us are using the plusnet hub one, which as you know doesn't allow custom DNS the problem is their even if you are using plusnet dns. It sounds like you are trying to blame the customers for a fault plusnet have caused.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

It wasn't my intention to point blame. I was offering an explanation of what had happened. If the workaround of using our DNS server helps you get online normally you should be able to manually configure the DNS in each device individually.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

@Anoush wrote:

It wasn't my intention to point blame. I was offering an explanation of what had happened. If the workaround of using our DNS server helps you get online normally you should be able to manually configure the DNS in each device individually.

It doesn't help anyone though because this is not a DNS server issue...

Aly
Rising Star

So glad there's a thread on this. Major issues for me too.

The problems with Plusnet just keep on stacking up

B33Dee
Dabbler

Can you not just move people back to the "old" network until the issues are fixed?

nightstalk3r
Rising Star

@B33Dee wrote:

Can you not just move people back to the "old" network until the issues are fixed?

Simpler to assign those affected with static IP's but they don't care about the customers enough to warrant the effort.

ProGamerXB1
Dabbler

This is a joke man, lost a weeks gaming cos of this nonsense , they don't even seem [-Censored-]d
B33Dee
Dabbler

Agreed.

Come Saturday when I have time to phone I won't be a Plusnet customer for much longer anyway Smiley

nshallcross
Hooked

@Anoush, my trouble with Sky OnDemand is the same whether I use Plusnet's DNS servers or Google's.
Tsuanmi49
Grafter

Its not the DNS servers. If you use google dns:

You still get issues. Its a routing issues. And I am getting this on a 209.xx IP.  Whatever is wrong its big. Its been 7 days almost now.