cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS/Routing issues for the last 36 hours

athruntalan
Grafter

Re: DNS/Routing issues for the last 36 hours

Yep, this is definitely still going on. I've had the same problems over the last 2 weeks, and on the advice of some members who've resolved it, I switched to a static IP address (paid for against my better judgement, since Plusnet would refuse to budge on the cost, and couldn't give an idea on a fix eta as the issue was long term).

In the last few days occasional lag spikes have crept back into my connection, with a ridiculous amount this morning (making any form of online gaming on my day off a no go). Plusnet, what exactly are we paying for? I used to recommend you to family and friends, but since moving house with you last November your service (customer and otherwise) has been appalling. - the last two weeks have been the icing on the cake.

On top of this, your prices are about to go up. Earn that price hike, or I'll exercise my rights to cut the contract and go with someone more reliable. I'm sorry if this sounds antagonistic, but I really have had enough over the last few weeks.

Benlightenment
Hooked

f2618ccaa01a679e1687a969abc47992

I spoke to an engineer on the phone yesterday and as luck would have it, at the time everything was fine. Now we're back to this. This is ridiculous now.

Xup
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Welcome to the New PlusNet network 3+weeks of this every night.

Packet Loss

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Xup

Can you try stopping anything uploading, there's a lot of upload data which can cause issues on the download too.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
athruntalan
Grafter

Chris, I wanted to throw in my packet loss graph from the last 24 hours. Have spoken to tech support a few times now, but they refuse to acknowledge the problem might be on their end.

I don't think it's a coincidence that there's practically no packet loss during what would be the quietest hours on your network.

Xup
Grafter
Fixes: 3

@Chris wrote:

@Xup

Can you try stopping anything uploading, there's a lot of upload data which can cause issues on the download too.

Chris, the packet loss issue has been ongoing for 3 weeks on the new network at peak times, I've been on that network for months no issue before it started 3 weeks ago.

Its as if you have added a lot more people to the new network and it just can't cope at peak times ?

The issue has made me move away from Plusnet, migrating to another provider on the 8th.

Edit to add

Up until 3 weeks ago  I have never seen red showing on my Graph in all the time I have been with PlusNet, + my usage pattern has not changed.

Aly
Rising Star

Same here Xup my Zen is activatted on the 8th I cannot wait
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I think I'm going to ask the mods to lock this thread.

The issue it was originally created to address is no more, and the more recent complaints of problems seem to have no common set of circumstances i.e. there are people posting about issues both on the 'new' and 'old' broadband network, both with and without a static IP.

Some of you clearly have faults/other things going on with your lines, and I'm keen to avoid overlap/confusion.

Feel free to start a new thread if the problems persist. For those that haven't done so already, it might also be an idea to open a fault report via the official channels.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there definitely isn't an unidentified issue somewhere, I just don't think we're going to get much clarity from the mixed bag of responses this thread is now attracting.

In reply to the latest though:

@Benlightenment wrote:

Is there any chance I can get someone to have a look at my line and see how it is?

It looks pretty stable TBH and you're in sync at the full 80. There's nothing immediately obvious that strikes me as a potential problem. If it's packet loss you're dealing with then I'd make sure it's not over the wireless link by trying to replicate the problem with a wired connection (assuming you haven't already).

@dai wrote:
My speed keeps dying in the evenings. I usually get around 22Mb down, but now I'm up and down like a yoyo. I tried five successive tests and got 6.2,9.3,20.89,3.1 and finally 12.86. What on earth is going on. I disconnected the session and reconnected via my router but no difference? Does this sound like the same problem?

The advice above is relevant here too. Try ruling out a wireless connectivity problem. Again, the connection itself looks pretty stable.

@nightstalk3r wrote:

Well im starting to have severe issues once again for the last 24 hours, streaming services with constant buffering, voip and online gaming nearly impossible and showing the symptoms of severe packet loss.

And of course VPN fixes everything, for [-Censored-] sakes Plusnet fix your god damn [-Censored-], this has been going on for a month now.

I see you disconnected/reconnected a few times around the time of this post. Are you still having issues? You'd been online, uninterrupted for 6 days prior to that so it's strange that you'd start to experience issues all of a sudden.

I recognise many of our routers don't support it, but I don't suppose any of you are using off the shelf kit or an older Technicolor device and are able to set up some remote ping monitoring? I'd be interested to see if there's any packet loss recorded there.

@athruntalan wrote:

Yep, this is definitely still going on. I've had the same problems over the last 2 weeks, and on the advice of some members who've resolved it, I switched to a static IP address (paid for against my better judgement, since Plusnet would refuse to budge on the cost, and couldn't give an idea on a fix eta as the issue was long term).

In the last few days occasional lag spikes have crept back into my connection, with a ridiculous amount this morning (making any form of online gaming on my day off a no go).

I see there's audible noise on your telephone line. You should really aim to get that sorted before anything else as it could easily be interfering with the broadband connection. Happy to refund you the cost of the static IP and remove it if it hasn't helped?

@Xup wrote:

Welcome to the New PlusNet network 3+weeks of this every night.

Packet Loss

I'd suggest raising a fault, however I see you've chosen to leave so there's probably little point Sad

Whatever you're seeing though, doesn't look to be a widespread issue.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note.

Locked as requested.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'