cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Problems

RichHB

DNS Problems

For the last couple of days there have been persistent problems with PlusNet's DNS servers, 212.159.6.10 and 212.159.6.11.

Name resolution works sometimes, but not consistently. Consequently, it can take several attempts to get any webpage to load.

Pinging the DNS servers gives intermittent results:

Pinging 212.159.6.9 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.159.6.9: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=60
Reply from 212.159.6.9: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=60
Request timed out.
Reply from 212.159.6.9: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=60
Request timed out.
Reply from 212.159.6.9: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=60

Pinging 212.159.6.10 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.159.6.10: bytes=32 time=169ms TTL=60
Reply from 212.159.6.10: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=60
Reply from 212.159.6.10: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=60
Request timed out.
Reply from 212.159.6.10: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=60
Request timed out.

Name resolution is all over the place:

nslookup google.com
Server:  dsldevice.lan
Address:  192.168.1.254

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    google.com
Addresses:  2a00:1450:4009:800::200e

nslookup google.com

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to dsldevice.lan timed-out

nslookup google.com

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Address:  2a00:1450:4009:818::200e

nslookup google.com

Non-authoritative answer:
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Address:  172.217.169.78

What makes this really annoying is that the DNS server addresses are mandated by my Plus One Hub! I can workaround the problem on a PC by disabling DHCP and setting up the network addresses manually and using Google DNS instead.

But it seems this is a problem with PlusNet, but it's not mentioned on any of the service status pages.

24 REPLIES 24
oscarthecat
Dabbler

Re: DNS Problems

I just came on here to ask exactly that question.  Same problem:

bash$ while true; do dig +tries=1 www.microsoft.com @212.159.13.49 | egrep "timed|Got"; sleep 1; done

;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:

But Cloudflare, for example, are fine:

bash$ while true; do dig +tries=1 www.microsoft.com @1.1.1.1 | egrep "timed|Got"; sleep 1; done

;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:
;; Got answer:

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@RichHB 

I used namebench to test the dns's, see attached.

This program is on google code somewhere, just search for it, run test and see if it concurs with mine.

Typically windows it puts the result down a hidden directory.

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Temp

maisonsmith
Hooked

I am having exactly the same problems reported under  ticket 201281139 yesterday. The work around for the PC is to hardcode Google on the PC but this isnt feasible for all the other connections.

I echo the lack of service status indication and notice that over the last year there has only been 4 issues(under resolved). 

Plusnet is either very good or the service status isnt used often any more.

RichHB

Thanks for this @dws1900 - here are the results I got from NameBench right now.

RichHB

@maisonsmith I am using the same workaround on my PC, but I have other devices which won't allow me to override the DNS. Seems like a crazy decision for them to mandate these DNS servers in the router. I am considering getting a different router which would give me more flexibility.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@RichHB 

Not sure what the situation is with .9 & .10, as in both cases namebench state its a slower version of the other one.

.11 isnt on the web page of dns servers, but I think it was mentioned somewhere in your post, is .11 a typo or is this an address you got from the pn hub its self?

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-dns-server-and-website-settings/

Not sure what the Hub6 can do re dns, ask baldrick1.

Its a bit worrying that a lot of people are experiencing issue's, and pn are rather quiet on the matter.

Just doing a ping on both, and .10 has more timeouts and longer delays that .9 at the moment.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Summat ain't right!

benchmark.jpg

Red shading on IP addresses indicate lost queries.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
maisonsmith
Hooked

I have read previous posts stating that the home router version is hobbled to point direct at the plusnet dns servers and the business versions of the same router allow you to specify your own dns service.

This would be fine if Plusnet could tell when their dns is not working properly.

I read with interest some of the other posts here re timeouts in connection and wonder if they are in fact DNS timeouts as well?

RichHB

Looking at ISP monitoring sites, there are plenty of reports of flaky Internet connections which look exactly like they're down to unreliable DNS.

I'm rather frustrated in how hard it is to get in touch with PlusNet at the moment - they aren't taking calls, they've disabled their online chat and there appears to be no email address to use either. Tweeting results in an automated reply telling me to check the website. I realise things are difficult right now, but that affects us all, and as an ISP, surely they're better placed than most of us to carry on working from home. I notice they're having no problems taking my direct debit each month. </rant>

Captain_Chaos
Hooked

I too have a DNS related issue and like most am frustrated in the lack of ability to be able to change the DNS in the router, I have set up googles DNS server in the mesh network but its a real pain to do all the ethernet devices, I spent a good time on the phone a couple of days ago with Vicki from the Helpdesk and she has now passed my ticket to the network admins to investigate further after sending screen shots of multiple DNS tests using different DNS servers (4 supplied by Plusnet and 2 from google) showing considerable differences in times from 17ms through to complete time out by some of the Plusnet ones.

I will let you know what their outcome is for the fault.

Captain_Chaos
Hooked

so after an interesting 3 weeks we have finally got to the bottom of what is causing the issues, Apparently there is a know issue with the Plusnet Hub one and the huwaei equipment Plusnet use for their DNS resolve. they have looked at trying to transfer over to another server however that is also the same configuration. the advice I got from Plusnet was either the following

1. I could go out and get a 3rd party router of my choice and they would reimburse unto £100 towards the cost
  2. they may be able to supply a router that is used as part of the John Lewis contract, this is the ZyXEL VMG8924. just as basic as the plus one and not the greatest bit of kit by reading the reports.

so as it sits I either stick with what I have or go out and spend some ££ on a new router. my router of choice would probably be the DrayTek Vigor 2862ac as this has everything I could need including the option for centrally managed wireless access points. Whats everybody's thoughts?

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@Captain_Chaos 

Option 1. If your mesh allows you to change the dns and act as a dhcp server, and has an ethernet port, use a switch to connect your ethernet stuff, and just use the Pusnet Hub as a modem. There may be double nat issues as you cant turn it into a real modem, I have not had issues but apparently it can cause problems with games.

Option 2 The draytek may only have the capability to use two dns addresses, and while it is sophisticated, it will take a bit of learning to get it going.

That said mine (2860) has been pretty stable, and gives other advantages like reports for line monitoring.

Not cheap, and not sure if it will allow management of wireless access ports with your mesh (which one do you have?)

Option 3. Buy a small computer, with two (preferably intel nics) and install opnsense (opnsense is free, the hardware requirements are not massive unless you start adding more services)

Use unbound (add on to opnsense) to setup multiple dns options, including various dns security features.

Use dhcp and unbound to set up your local dns.

Use the Pusnet Hub as a modem, turn off the wifi.

Option 4. Pusnet modifies the code to allow use an external DNS server.

Keep the Pusnet hub as they probably want it back when you leave, and also its useful as a backup.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

My thoughts are that it seems unlikely that some sort of known interoperability issue between the Plusnet Hub One and Plusnet's DNS servers would only be affecting an apparently very small number of customers.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@ejs 

It may be wider than reported, as a lot of people are not tech savvy to identify an issue.

Clearly going on to a different dns server appears to resolve the problem.