cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Problems

Robandyuri

Re: DNS Problems

I have used DrayTek kit over the years with very few issues, if I install one then I would also update the Mesh to they DrayTek access points. I would love Plusnet to actually fix this issue with a modified firmware to allow manual dns config but I can’t see that happening anytime soon unfortunately, the hub will go in the box of useful cables that may come in handy at some point but will probably never be used again 🤣
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Captain_Chaos wrote:

so after an interesting 3 weeks we have finally got to the bottom of what is causing the issues, Apparently there is a know issue with the Plusnet Hub one and the huwaei equipment Plusnet use for their DNS resolve. they have looked at trying to transfer over to another server...

Eh? Sorry but this is nonsense.

For a start, our DNS resolvers do not run on Huawei equipment. They are *nix servers using open source software. At least the last time I checked they were.

As for the Hub One, it is a dumb DNS forwarder, probably using dnsmasq or something similar. I fail to see how there can be any sort of incompatibility issue 🤔

And there are no immediate plans to overhaul the DNS platform, certainly not driven by this apparent 'known issue'.

Case in point: I am currently using a Plusnet Hub One and I have a monitor on the network that is making 12 DNS lookups to the Plusnet servers every minute.

dns_probes@20200524.png

I can go back weeks and the story is the same. Zero loss and zero failed lookups.

There is a suspected issue that arises in certain cases where the Hub One's DNS forwarder stops working until the device is rebooted. It's not intermittent in nature though, and lookups direct to the DNS server (rather than 192.168.1.254/dsldevice.lan) would continue to work in this situation anyway.

I'm not saying for definite that there isn't a problem somewhere, but what you've been told is misguided at best I'm afraid 😕

Edit: As an aside, the device supplied to John Lewis customers is a VMG3925-B10C, not a VMG8924-B10A - which we stopped supplying months ago. Regardless, I don't see this as a scenario where we would look to ship an alternative router.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@Captain_Chaos wrote:

Apparently there is a know issue with the Plusnet Hub one and the huwaei equipment Plusnet use for their DNS resolve.

@Captain_Chaos  Can you provide an evidential link or even better links to this please.

Captain_Chaos
Hooked

@bobpullen Thanks for the reply, here is what was put on the ticket I have open on my account, 

Rang through to tech in leeds/sheffield for further advice regarding the DNS issue.

Possible issue with the cabinet. (huawei). Unable to swap cabinets are both the same manufacturer.

Advised this is a known issue affecting the plusnet hub one.

Advise he can get a third party router and re-inburse the cost up to £100.

TL has authorized this, we just need proof of purchase by attaching to this thread

Kind regards,

I have removed the agents details who I spoke too however I would guess you could see my account, feel free to give me a shout directly if required. if you look at the ticket you will see the relevant checks I have completed for the team over the last few weeks.

Captain_Chaos
Hooked

@Mook I have posted a transcript from my fault ticket above

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That doesn't seem any more plausible. So now we're supposed to believe there's an issue between the Hub One and Huawei cabinets, which are the majority of FTTC cabinets in the UK. That's an awful lot of Plusnet customers who'll need a new router.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Thanks for that @Captain_Chaos but the cabinet in question is the one on the street where your router connects to and has no relation to the provision of DNS services, these will be provided by devices further down the wire.

Considering how many customers are using the Plusnet router, with the World and their wives working from home there will be an extra load put on Plusnet's infrastructure, which may result in the issues you're experiencing.

If there were a direct link between the Plusnet router and the Huawei cabinet this forum would be flooded with complaints about it as suggested by @ejs. It may be that the DNS service is working as expected but the issue is elsewhere on the WAN with a faulting or faulty device dropping your packets.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Captain_Chaos thanks, definitely some confusion there so I will follow up with the advisor you spoke to next week. The only thing I can think they may be getting confused with is an issue we sometimes see on busy cabinets where vectoring is applied. It results in intermittent drops though, rather than anything to do with DNS. The majority of FTTC street cabinets are Huawei kit, so like @Mook says, any widespread issue would be causing Chaos (no pun intended!).

It's also at a completely different layer to DNS.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@bobpullen Intermittent drops have been an ongoing issue with me for some time and I have raised it on this forum (probably more than once). Some days are better than others, there seems no pattern to it. I thought it was perhaps loss of DNS on my posts.

Is this the cause?

It would be helpful to know of issues in order to prevent a great deal of searching and resetting that ultimately only disrupts further and is harmful rather than beneficial.

"Do Not Adjust Your Set" instead of "No Known Issues" When looking up Current Status. 

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You can configure a PC to use a DNS of your choosing.

In addition you can configure a browser to use a DNS of your choosing.

Even more😀 you could use a local DNS cache.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."