Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Issues?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: DNS Issues?

For anyone familiar with Telnet, here is the fix you can do yourself -
Are you familiar with Telnet? You need Telnet to be activated on your OS.
Open a cmd window and type      telnet 192.168.1.254
You'll then be prompted for a username .....    admin
and then the password (the TG582n's serial number)
At the telnet prompt, enter the following commands.
dns server config WANDownSpoofing = disabled
dns server debug spoof clear
dns server debug spoof list
saveall
exit
Also, you can check that the change was implemented by doing a Config Backup and looking at the Backup file. It's a good idea to do a backup anyway, because the change you have done - and any other changes you may have made to the default configuration before, will not survive a factory reset. Reloading a config backup would be a quick way of restoring all your custom settings should it be needed at any time.
Log into the 582n GUI, depending on your screen after log in select >Advanced Options  at the bottom of the screen if need be, then
On the LH menu, select >Technicolor Gateway then >Configuration then >Save or Restore Configuration  from the bottom of the page.
On the Backup& Restore screen, click >Backup Configuration Now.  You'll be prompted with a default filename of user.ini which you can change if you wish, when prompted for the Folder to save it in.
Once saved (it's a text file), open it with a basic text reader (eg. Notepad or similar) and search for WANDown. You should find it in the [ dnss.ini ] section where it should say WANDownSpoofing=disabled
Mburden1

Having a similar problem here, anyway to sort it remotely would be appreciated.
Thanks
mcintoshuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Bob
@mcintoshuk, looks like you've manage to implement the fix yourself?

Indeed I have.
martb
Hooked

Bob,
Seems to have done the trick. Many Thanks, I will close the ticket. Cheers
Echofox

Our connection has been iffy for a while but worsened during the last two weeks. Thumbnails don't open or the connection times out. Couldn't get through to PN on the phone because it got stuck on a loop when pressing 2, so went through livechat who said it was NW weather problems. I did a pc DNS flush which actually helped but some sites still time out or don't open properly. May I request a firmware update too please, in case that is the problem? The IP is 10.2.5.2.FO. Many thanks.
Whirly

Quote from: derek268
[SNIP]
Over the last 2 to 3 weeks or so have had problems connecting to different websites.
It is not always the same websites. When I am on the net, one time it may be one group of sites and on another occasions it might be other sites.
These are websites that I use on more or less daily/weekly basis. The appear to, I assume timeout and then I get a message telling me to check the website
address. they include live.co.uk, plus.net, hsbc and  others. not necessarily at the same time. It is getting rather frustrating.
I believe I read elsewhere in the forum others had similar problem, which I believe was to do with some changes/software/firmware upgrade made by PLUSNET.
But have not managed to find it on forum again. I have not made any changes to my computer, other than usual Microsoft updates.
As I appear to be having problems  similar to  issues mentioned here.
If that is the case can you remotely do the necessary to correct the situation remotely by telnet.

Kind regards
Derek
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) All caps (shouting) edited as per forum rule.

I'm having the same problems...perhaps I could get that upgrade because, atm, it's not worth having fibre when it's slower to access websites than 3g on my phone.
ArthurDent
Grafter

An end to my whingeing here?
Pleased to report that following prompt and knowledgeable intervention by ANOther of Plusnet, contacted via on-line chat,  the router firmware patch was installed yesterday morn by a Plusnet guy (sorry to seem grudging but I still maintain that punters shouldn't need to get involved with telnet and all that stuff).
But I'm delighted that to date performance is back to what we experienced previously.
Thank you Plusnet.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: KEM
Thanks Bob. Do I need to reboot the router and will I see a different software release number or is it still 10.2.5.2.FO?

No need to reboot and the software release is the same.
Quote from: KEM
Is there any advantage to use the DNS settings in the router rather than having each computer point directly to the DNS servers? Isn't it quicker for my computer to go directly to 212.159.13.49 rather than going to the router that then points to the same address?

Unlikely to be quicker in that you'd notice. Having said that, configuring DNS on the machine, removes a point of failure (the router). It can cause problems if you then try connecting to a non-Plusnet line though (assuming you're using our DNS servers). There are pro's and cons to both approaches. Personally I like to configure my router with specific DNS addresses so I choose what gets assigned by DHCP (Plusnet as primary, Google secondary). Any machines on my network with a fixed IP have the same two servers configured in the network adapter settings.
For those of you asking for config updates to be pushed to your devices, I'll try and pick this up tomorrow. I'm not in the office at the moment.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JonoPatterson
Dabbler

Same problem for 2 weeks. Telnet fixed it!
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

Quote from: Echofox
The IP is 10.2.5.2.FO. Many thanks.

That's actually the firmware revision, not your IP address.  In any case, I suspect your username for your account may be more useful to identify which router needs attention, although someone might correct me on that.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Plusnet can identify that from the forum registration. If not they will ask for it by PM, it should never be posted on a public forum.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

alternatively post a ticket number from your account as that is a unique identifier
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Bob
For those of you asking for config updates to be pushed to your devices, I'll try and pick this up tomorrow. I'm not in the office at the moment.

@gcrinage, @derek268, @caryn, @Mburden1, @Echofox and @Whirly, the update has now been pushed to all of your devices. Let me know if you're still encountering issues.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

caryn
Rising Star

So far, everything seems back to normal. Much quicker loading sites. I'll test it out through the day and report back.
Thank you Bob, much appreciated.
Mburden1

Still not working for me Bob?