Did you mean: 

DNS Issues?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: DNS Issues?

Quote from: gpsmout
could have forseen. 

This may not be what people recently affected by this issue want to hear, but Plusnet certainly could have foreseen this. It is not a newly discovered problem, it was reported here in December 2014. I'm not sure if that was the first thread on the subject, but it's a detailed one. Another ISP hit this issue back in 2013. The 10.2.5.2 FO firmware for the 582n is not new. In January 2015 Plusnet knew how to do the needed config changes remotely. I don't know why Plusnet are updating people's firmware now, but they shouldn't have been completely unaware of the problem.
In Plusnet's defence, one thing that isn't clear is whether the issue affects all computers using Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10, or only some, and may affect a few Windows 7 or Linux computers also. At some point, Plusnet probably did test the 582n, with 10.2 firmware, and Windows 8 or 10, and may have found it worked fine for them, if the issue doesn't affect every computer.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Wahey! Just had a hopefully fruitful on-line chat with a lovely PN girl {whose name I'm apparently not allowed to divulge) who has undertaken to arrange for the firmware patch to be sent, possibly on Monday. So watch this space for maybe an end to my bleating.
lukec
Dabbler

gpsmout...
If one does get their own router then the ISP needs to provide sufficient information that allows for obtaining a correctly compatible device. I have yet had sufficiently detailed information from PN to be able to do this... I strongly believe their T1 support chaps don't actually have that information...
Admittedly - only a PN Customer for the last 4 days...
rgds
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

hi Lukec
There is a wealth of information about router connection settings: In fact it can be easier, quciker and simpler to set up a REAL router than a plus net supplied one. All you need to set one up is your plus net log in name in the format "loginname@plusdsl.net"  and your plus net password. You will have been sent these when you signed up.
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection&?membermenu=connectionsettings
and click on connection details
For a list suitable/ possible  routers look up http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/index.htm
Note :
for standard ADSL you can use almost any off the shelf ADSL router
for Fibre you will need a VDSL capable router
Good Luck !
A "proper" router is unlikely to have any of these connection issues
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@lukec
This thread is about DNS issues that have arisen as a result of a firmware upgrade to the TG582n. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Hub One that you are using which should not be presenting any problems in this respect.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

We'd be grateful if @bob pullen (or another PN staff member ) can push the TG582n router fix to user mjsmout.
Thanks
GPS

did it myself eventually so no need to push out the update thanks!
KEM
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Please can the router fix be pushed to my Technicolor router?
Not sure if i need to put my PlusNet username here or not?
Daveodeth
Grafter

Hi
seeing suspicious issues that look related to items raised here, can you push the update to user Janets. thanks
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Semtex, @Memphis1985, @subharmonic, @KEM, Daveodeth - The config update has been pushed to all of your devices.
@ArthurDent, I understand the config change has already been pushed to your router by our support staff?
@mcintoshuk, looks like you've manage to implement the fix yourself?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

martb
Hooked

Bob,
I have a fault logged concerning all the issues above any chance you can push the router update to me aswell please? let me know if you need username etc. Would really appreciate it.
Thanks
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Done Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

KEM
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Thanks Bob. Do I need to reboot the router and will I see a different software release number or is it still 10.2.5.2.FO?
Is there any advantage to use the DNS settings in the router rather than having each computer point directly to the DNS servers? Isn't it quicker for my computer to go directly to 212.159.13.49 rather than going to the router that then points to the same address?
gcrinage

Bob,
Appreciate that you are probably a very busy man doing all these manual changes... But could you please add me to the list?
Thanking you!
*for anyone else that reads this, will there be a visual way that I can tell if the update has worked? Thanks*
derek268
Dabbler

Hi, I have been on fibre for since around 2011 and was on the FTTC trial.
I originally posted this query separately  earlier this afternoon and was directed here.
Over the last 2 to 3 weeks or so have had problems connecting to different websites.
It is not always the same websites. When I am on the net, one time it may be one group of sites and on another occasions it might be other sites.
These are websites that I use on more or less daily/weekly basis. The appear to, I assume timeout and then I get a message telling me to check the website
address. they include live.co.uk, plus.net, hsbc and  others. not necessarily at the same time. It is getting rather frustrating.
I believe I read elsewhere in the forum others had similar problem, which I believe was to do with some changes/software/firmware upgrade made by PLUSNET.
But have not managed to find it on forum again. I have not made any changes to my computer, other than usual Microsoft updates.
As I appear to be having problems  similar to  issues mentioned here.
If that is the case can you remotely do the necessary to correct the situation remotely by telnet.

Kind regards
Derek
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) All caps (shouting) edited as per forum rule.
caryn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think this may be me too, if you could help out please?
Thanks a lot