Did you mean: 

DNS Issues?

buck1690

Re: DNS Issues?

Quote from: meyre68
Quote from: ejs
Quote from: meyre68
Pinging bbc.co.uk [198.18.1.216] with 32 bytes of data:

Or you could configure your computer to use the Plusnet DNS servers (212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10) directly, bypassing the DNS server in the router.

I

This works for me, but really I shouldn't be requiring to mess around with this junk...PlusNet need attend to this DNS crap.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

All you need to do is to flush your DNS cache
To clear your DNS cache if you use Windows 7, perform the following steps:
   Click Start.
   Enter cmd in the Start menu search text box.
   Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
   Run the following command: ipconfig /flushdns.

If W 8 or 10
type "Run" in  search
type ipconfig /flushdns
That's it .
Worked instantly  on all 4 machines we use.
For more infor see : https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/How+To+Clear+Your+DNS+Cache
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gpsmout

No, doesn't work for me. Works briefly for sites that failed, then stops again. Have you tested it for a while, or was that just a quick test? Are you just flushing the cache again each time it stops working? (which isn't a viable solution).

Random suggestions of things to change aren't the answer. We need a firmware fix from PlusNet or a roll back. I'm sure this will be costing them a lot in support calls and likely taking a lot of time to understand what the actual issue is.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

We're just looking into this now.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Apologies to those having difficulties.
Don't tell me Plusnet have remotely upgraded a lot of 582n routers to the v10 firmware, and now lots more people are hitting the 198.18.1.X spoofed IP address issue.

There were a lot of remote firmware upgrades last week, although this isn't the first batch that have been done. Anecdotal evidence does support your theory though Embarrassed
For those experiencing problems (namely CJBlue, marcusk, meyre68, JJ, buck1690, goodviews, medric, gpsmout, and deadkenny) are you all using Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?
I'm going to see if I can get somebody to push the telnet commands below to all of your devices. Once I have, it would be handy if those of you who have specified non-Plusnet DNS servers can switch back and see if the issue is resolved.
For any body else who stumbles across this issue, there's some background reading in the thread over here.
Solutions include:
1. Specify DNS addresses explicitly in the TCP/IP v4 Properties of your Network adapter (I've used Plusnet as primary below, Google as secondary):

2. Telnet to the 582n and run the following commands. A guide for telnetting to the router can be found here, just replace all the DNS commands with the ones below:
dns server config WANDownSpoofing = disabled
saveall
exit

3. Some have reported limited success with flushing their local DNS cache. There's a chance the problem will return though.
Quote from: Stazbumpa
Then I was like:
C:\Users\stazb_000>tracert nexusmods.com
Tracing route to nexusmods.com [77.72.3.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

I don't think your problem is the same as what others are reporting in this thread. I posted an update about the nexusmods.com accessibility problems here earlier today.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: gpsmout on Today at 13:50
No, doesn't work for me. Works briefly for sites that failed, then stops again. Have you tested it for a while, or was that just a quick test? Are you just flushing the cache again each time it stops working? (which isn't a viable solution).

Random suggestions of things to change aren't the answer. We need a firmware fix from PlusNet or a roll back. I'm sure this will be costing them a lot in support calls and likely taking a lot of time to understand what the actual issue is.

All my systems do appraer to be working fine now;
Actually I did several things:
Turn off BT Modem and TG 582n router for 30 minutes and  then restart  modem first and router 2nd.
Flush DNS cache on all equipment.  either Windows 7, 8 or 10

deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Bob
For those experiencing problems (namely CJBlue, marcusk, meyre68, JJ, buck1690, goodviews, medric, gpsmout, and deadkenny) are you all using Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?
I'm going to see if I can get somebody to push the telnet commands below to all of your devices. Once I have, it would be handy if those of you who have specified non-Plusnet DNS servers can switch back and see if the issue is resolved.

I've just done the telnet command anyway for WANDownSpoofing, and that for me appears to fix it. I hadn't changed any of the DNS servers from Plusnet anyway, on the router or individual PCs. The PCs are still using the router at the DNS server.
For reference, yes I'm using Windows 10.
That said I hadn't checked on my non Windows devices.
CJBlue
Dabbler

I had the problems on a couple of machines , one using Windows 8.1 and another Windows 10.
The dns settings were 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10 when the problems accessing pages started and only stopped when I changed to the google dns servers.
It's been ok if a little slow since then - as a test I put the plusnet dns servers back on the Windows 10 machine tonight as a test and could load a few pages ok but not done too much testing.
www.speedtest.net was a site I know wasn't working at the weekend but I could get to it tonight with the plusnet dns servers:
tracert www.speedtest.net
Tracing route to cs62.adn.xicdn.net [93.184.219.82]
  1    1 ms    2 ms    1 ms  192.168.1.254
  2    25 ms    24 ms    25 ms  lo0-central10.pcl-ag02.plus.net [195.166.128.183]
  3    24 ms    24 ms    24 ms  link-a-central10.pcl-gw01.plus.net [212.159.2.164]
  4    24 ms    64 ms    24 ms  xe-10-1-0.pcl-cr01.plus.net [212.159.0.196]
  5    27 ms    24 ms    24 ms  ae1.ptw-cr01.plus.net [195.166.129.0]
  6    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  7    25 ms    65 ms    26 ms  192.16.28.89
  8    26 ms    24 ms    28 ms  93.184.219.82
Trace complete.
Also just did a traceroute to ntp.plus.net
tracert ntp.plus.net
Tracing route to ntp.plus.net [212.159.6.10]
  1    1 ms    1 ms    1 ms  192.168.1.254
  2    26 ms    24 ms    24 ms  lo0-central10.pcl-ag02.plus.net [195.166.128.183]
  3    27 ms    24 ms    25 ms  link-a-central10.pcl-gw01.plus.net [212.159.2.164]
  4    24 ms    27 ms    24 ms  xe-10-1-0.pcl-cr01.plus.net [212.159.0.196]
  5    25 ms    24 ms    26 ms  po2.pcl-gw01.plus.net [195.166.129.41]
  6    28 ms    24 ms    23 ms  cdns02.plus.net [212.159.6.10]
Trace complete.
These are the current DNS settings on the router:
Forwarding Servers (flags:
  • Dynamic HCP

PP PSEC rigger)
    ==================
    Set Metric Flg DNS-Server                              EDNS Label          Intf                            State
    --- ------ --- --------------------------------------- ---- --------------- ------------------------------- -----
      0    5      8.8.8.8                                                      Internet                          UP
      0    5      8.8.4.4                                                      Internet                          UP
      0    10  P* 212.159.6.10                                                Internet                          UP
      0    10  P* 212.159.6.9                                                  Internet                          UP
    And the firmware revision:
    Software Release: 10.2.5.2

Software Variant: FO
    I'll try that telnet command and remove the google dns settings and see how I get on.  Hopefully you can narrow down what the cause is Smiley

• Anotherone
    Champion
    Fixes: 21

Don't tell me Plusnet have remotely upgraded a lot of 582n routers to the v10 firmware, and now lots more people are hitting the 198.18.1.X spoofed IP address issue.

Well until this came to light, I've never known them do widespread upgrades like this before. I wonder why they have chosen to do it now?
    Quote from: gpsmout

Sorry, that is insufficient as others have said. If you've experienced the 198.18.1.x spoofed addresses, the problem will reoccur at some point unless you turn off the spoofing as already mentioned by ejs by following this. I strongly recommend flushing all the caches as well, to be sure all spoofed addresses are cleared out.
    marcusk
    Grafter

I have (had) two Win 10 systems experiencing this issue. I've changed the local DNS settings on the actual PC's, i can of course change them back to test if told when.
    My non-windows devices, a Nexus 5 and 7 seemed to be unaffected by this issue. I don't use the Xbox for web browsing so can't speak to how that is getting on with it..!
    runhare
    Aspiring Pro

Quote from: gpsmout on Today at 13:50
    Sorry, that is insufficient as others have said. If you've experienced the 198.18.1.x spoofed addresses, the problem will reoccur at some point unless you turn off the spoofing as already mentioned by ejs by following this. I strongly recommend flushing all the caches as well, to be sure all spoofed addresses are cleared out.

Yes Anotherone , you are correct. The issue still remains, though I find  a further DNS flush will temporarily solve the problem . Interestingly as far as I can tlle any iOS device , or mobile device seems not to be affected !
    I'm think the simplest thing to do is to buy my own VDSL router. I h started to attempt  to telnet to the 582n but telnet is not installed on any windows 7 or 10 machines I use  and attemting to do so throws up OS system  erors I don;t understadn about dot.net versions not being up to date . In any case I have not a clue what I would be doing or why via telnet
    What exactly - in simple terms - can PN do to correct the issue for  people who are undoubtedly having these  problems?
    (Even further, I will admit honestly that I don't relaly have a clue what the actual problem is , or how it has developed . Is there as simple explanation? There must be zillions of PN customers with this problem! )
    runhare
    Aspiring Pro

Please can someone wiser than I let me know if I have solved this DNS problem?
    I managed to get Telnet working on an older desktop computer  so was able to telnet into 582n and carried out Bob Pullen's "fix" no 2 shown above .
    2. Telnet to the 582n and run the following commands. A guide for telnetting to the router can be found here, just replace all the DNS commands with the ones below:
    Code:
    dns server config WANDownSpoofing = disabled
    saveall
    exit

Here is a record of my router  log file to show this nappening
    Feb 15 22:36:06 LOGOUT User admin logged out on TELNET (192.168.1.70)

Info Feb 15 22:36:02 CONFIGURATION saved by user (/dl/user.ini)

Info Feb 15 22:35:58 CONFIGURATION mbus igd sync successfull

Info Feb 15 22:35:54 CONFIGURATION mbus atomic sync successful

Info Feb 15 22:34:16 LOGIN User admin logged in on TELNET (192.168.1.70)
    If this hasn't fixed the DNS issue then I am probaly going to ditch the router and try another !
    Anotherone
    Champion
    Fixes: 21

Well it should have if you've done it correctly as the log doesn't (won't) show the command you ran and saved. You can check it's all saved OK by doing a router config backup (it's a text file - default name is user.ini but you can change it to your own choice) and then look through the file for the section [ dnss.ini ] where you should find (my bold) a line similar to
    config domain=lan timeout=15 suppress=0 state=enabled trace=disabled syslog=disabled WANDownSpoofing=disabled WDSpoofedIP=198.18.1.0 filter=disabled

but I do suggest (as I have before in this post) that you clear the spoof cache as well to be certain any spoofed addresses won't get picked up again. Telnet into the 582n again and run these commands -
    dns server debug spoof clear
    dns server debug spoof list
    exit
    The list command is just to check the cache is clear.
    hillfort
    Dabbler

I've had this issue for the past few days too, it's annoying.
    Win10 PC, slow to connect and often fails. Android tablet, no problems.
    bobpullen
    Community Gaffer
    Community Gaffer
    Fixes: 316

The update has now been pushed successfully to those reporting problems. @hillfort, I've done yours too.

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet Product Team
    If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵