cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Issues?

CJBlue
Dabbler

DNS Issues?

Anyone know if there's any issues with PlusNet's DNS servers?
Been having problems connecting to websites today yet the internet connection appeared to be up, I eventually tried changing the DNS on my computer from DHCP to take static addresses and put the Google Public DNS server ip addresses in ( 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 ) and can access webpages ok again.
So either there's DNS issues or the router is having a bad day?  Huh
190 REPLIES 190
marcusk
Grafter

Re: DNS Issues?

There are DNS issues, I too have had to use a public DNS to get a working web session.
wwex786
Grafter

I am not sure, sorry  Sad I am on Fibre Optics (through DSL) and everything seems to be working but at a really slow pace !  Cry
marcusk
Grafter

I wish I could change the default DNS servers in this router but there isn't an option to change it in the GUI.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I have not noticed anything else particularly wrong with the Plusnet DNS servers, there was one specific website that wasn't working for a while, that seems to happen occasionally, but tends to be limited to specific sites.
Something I have noticed, is that the DNS answer packets are no longer being prioritised above normal web traffic, they now are being given the same prioritisation as general web traffic.
meyre68
Grafter

I seem to be having this issue too. All webpages are very slow to load yet speedtest shows a normal connection speed.
marcusk
Grafter

I suggest that you to move to open public DNS settings, it resolved my issue (on this one machine, but not the router which I cant change).
dick:quote
CJBlue
Dabbler

I've found that since changing to using a public DNS server that webpages I couldn't get to yesterday are working now but I have noticed web traffic is still a bit slow although speedtests are showing a good speed for me.
You can change the DNS settings on the Technicolor router that PlusNet supply but you have to use telnet to do it - just google "technicolor dns settings" and you'll find instructions on how to do it.
I've added the google public dns servers on a lower metric to the plusnet ones which means the router will forward dns requests to the public servers before the plusnet ones and it seems to work ok.
It helps that I'm used to doing stuff like this as I work in IT but I hate to think what people with no experience of this will be going through - I did notice PlusNet's support stats showed their call times were high last night. I don't fancy waiting an average of 30 minutes on hold in a queue of 49 people!  Tongue
marcusk
Grafter

Quote from: CJBlue
I've found that since changing to using a public DNS server that webpages I couldn't get to yesterday are working now

Yes, this is the thing I don't understand, i'm not a technical person but I do understand the basic principles of fault finding. Something not working, changed a thing, now working = the thing was the issue.
Why then do Plusnet repeatedly state that there isn't an issue with their DNS servers.
I've looked at changing the DNS in the router, the Telnet requirement doesn't look too straightforward to me, it took me a fair bit of research to discover how to enable Telnet in WIN10, and once I had managed that I got a case of the fears about disabling my router completely and chickened out....!!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

If people are using the Technicolor 582n router, there is also this issue with the router: 198.18.1.x address problems
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

What sites are people having problems with? What happens if you try tracing to those sites during a period of time the problem is evident? What happens if you try tracing to ntp.plus.net? Can you access any of the problematic sites by IP address?
I'm not aware of any widespread issues and there's not a lot to go on in this thread.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

meyre68
Grafter

I'm trying to play black desert. You start the game by going here ( http:// auth.black.game.daum.net/ starter/black/ index.daum ) and a popup should open to start the game once you reach the login server. Nothing pops up as of yesterday. Nothing has been changed on my pc. It did work correctly once this morning.
All websites are slow to open. I see the little circle spinning for ages and then the page loads. If I click a link then same again.
C:\Users\MikeE>ping ntp.plus.net
Pinging ntp.plus.net [212.159.6.9] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.159.6.9: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=59
Reply from 212.159.6.9: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=59
Ping statistics for 212.159.6.9:
   Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
   Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 19ms
This seems fine. Yet pages are taking ages to load and games cannot connect to the login servers. I don't have any tracing software. I'm not an IT expert.

A few minutes later:-
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping bbc.co.uk
Pinging bbc.co.uk [198.18.1.216] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 198.18.1.216:
   Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
C:\Users\MikeE>ping 198.18.1.216
Pinging 198.18.1.216 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 198.18.1.216:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: meyre68
Pinging bbc.co.uk [198.18.1.216] with 32 bytes of data:

So your problem is probably the Technicolor 198.18.1. IP address issue. Either you can apply the config change described here or get Plusnet to do it remotely for you. Or you could configure your computer to use the Plusnet DNS servers (212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10) directly, bypassing the DNS server in the router.
JJ
Grafter

For me it appears to be the sites I use the most. I would also swear they were taking longer to connect each time I accessed them. Changing DNS servers to google ones fixed the problem.

John
ejs
Aspiring Hero

What router do you have, and where did you change the DNS servers?