cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Error

khile
Grafter

DNS Error

Hello is anyone else experiencing DNS errors I can not get online unless I use third party DNS such as Google (8.8.8.8)
Am I only one or others too?
10 REPLIES 10
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: DNS Error

I'm not using Plusnet DNS servers as they are far slower than the likes of Google or OpenDNS so i haven't come across any issues, maybe stick with third party you may find it to be a better browsing experience. 
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi. I've just checked and we didn't experience any known DNS issues around the time of the post.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mazda

I have a fault just now.
Using my plusnet username I get  connected  , but not able to do anything :  the Connectivity Check  shows DNS servers have    X against them.
I didnt know you could set up another DNS  - how to do that will be my question,
I am logged in via another plusnet username of a friend,  which works .  must be username specific fault.
mathewlisett
Grafter

i have been having dns and timeout issues ever since they had dns server issues a month ago. i have a technician coming tomorrow to hopefully sort it out, but just now found that the router isnt accepting the wifi key so that my smart phone can connect, seems to have issues authenticating it even though its the same password as its had since install.
ive also had dropped speed last week down to a silly 15mbps and last night i had 389ping with 17mbps
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Mazda
I've checked your account and can see we have a fault open. You're not seeing DNS as you're not connected to the internet. Think of what you've mentioned as a symptom rather than the problem itself
@mathewlisett
Hope that gets things sorted for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mathewlisett
Grafter

well itll be the 4th guy to sort it out in the past month, so i hope so too
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
@Mazda
I've checked your account and can see we have a fault open. You're not seeing DNS as you're not connected to the internet. Think of what you've mentioned as a symptom rather than the problem itself

Adam - re-read his post - he is connected using a different username! I assume the friend can't be on fixed IP or they'd both have issues.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mathewlisett
Grafter

just an update, the guy came around and just left. found the bottom part of plusnets white router what i shall reffer to as the fiber optic part, he replaced that as our old one even when the thing wasnt connected to the line was still having the sync light lit up. we also had issues with the wifi password not being accepted so after a reset on the router itself that connected.
now with all that being said, its a case of seeing how the timeoputs and dns issues go from now, i know the speeds are worse than before as ive now just done a test and its
now when they do their speed tests on the line itself its a few above what the customer actually gets, and they got a speed of 21.
last night i got a speed of 24 myself. so again its a case of seeing what happens, but it does sound like there are issues with the white fiber router and the password going between it and the plusnet servers.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Adam - re-read his post

@mazda - feel free to PM me the username in that case.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mazda

thanks for replies,
Working again since  from last night.. touch wood
Wish I had more experience of setting DNS on laptop , would have been helpful to diagnosis especially for staff on call centre.
I use linux mint -  just watched you-tube on how-to enter google DNS -  have not tried yet.
pity not able to do that on router
I waited 40 mins on phone Monday night , to be advised by person that I should pay P&P for new router ( as well as sign new contract) or buy router for £40 --  to get fault fixed !
pretty shocking service imo. especially since  I have been with plusnet for 8 years  & hadn’t though about leaving  -- till my experience with customer support !
All the gear was operational as I had informed them on the ticket details. the only difference is that my username didn’t work,, other username did( I had also provided screenshots of X DNS connectivity check ) showing it wasn’t likely  the hardware.
now today I went to my friend ( non fibre) and they have the same fault. kind of pass the parcel fault. probably my blame for using their user name here.
I will go and renter their details and hope it clears with them.