cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLNA Issue with technicolor tg582n

smash

DLNA Issue with technicolor tg582n

Hi All
For weeks now I have been trying to get my media server up on my smart tv, i am really frustrated so am reaching out to the community
The setup works perfectly with my BT Homehub 3 but it keeps dropping speed to 2mb on my wireless laptop so i have retired it and am now using the plus net wireless router technicolor tg582n
my setup is as follows
Plusnet Fibre, Servioo Media Server running through my Main Pc which connects via ethernet to my access point, which then goes through a homeplug to my netgear hub downstairs and then into the TV via ethernet
TV has internet connected
PC has media servers in home network router page
I have enabled the predefined servioo access rule to the tv (the forwarded ports are correct)
My Router can see my media servers
UPNP makes no difference on/off
Tried gaming mode  makes no difference on/off
Extended security is off
If anybody can help i would really appreciate it  Smiley

15 REPLIES 15
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: DLNA Issue with technicolor tg582n

You could try the following, need to used telnet though.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#dlna
If you're not comfortable with telnet you can make the change by editing the routers config file.
eg
Use the routers "backup" function to get a copy of the config file, then make the following change to the text file using notepad -- change enabled to [font=Verdana]disabled[/font]
After making the change save the file and use the routers "restore" function input the file.
[ igmpsnooping.ini ]
ifconfig brname=bridge intf=OBC portmode=Auto fastleave=enabled exptrack=disabled mrdp=enabled rgmp=disabled
ifconfig brname=bridge intf=ethport1 portmode=Auto fastleave=disabled exptrack=disabled mrdp=enabled rgmp=disabled
ifconfig brname=bridge intf=ethport2 portmode=Auto fastleave=disabled exptrack=disabled mrdp=enabled rgmp=disabled
ifconfig brname=bridge intf=ethport3 portmode=Auto fastleave=disabled exptrack=disabled mrdp=enabled rgmp=disabled
ifconfig brname=bridge intf=WLAN portmode=Auto fastleave=disabled exptrack=disabled mrdp=enabled rgmp=disabled
ifconfig brname=bridge intf=virt portmode=Auto fastleave=disabled exptrack=disabled mrdp=enabled rgmp=disabled
config brname=bridge state=disabled floodrp=disabled floodmcast=disabled queryto=140
smash

Thanks npr  Smiley
Edit: Still the same
10.2,.5.2 is fw version
npr
Pro

That's a shame, I thought I'd seen reports of that fix working on firmware R10. -- it's not something I can test myself.
Only other thoughts:
1) is it a firewall issue on the PC
2) have you tried rebooting all the devices
3) ensure all devices are on a dynamic IP address, static lan IP's can sometime cause problems with this router.
npr
Pro

Is the routers own media server disabled? Don't know if that makes a difference but it's easy to disable in the routers gui.
smash

Thanks for your time/replies
Yes i rebooted everything, still no dice
However I set up an xbox and it finds the plex media server but not the servioo (any will do i don't care lol)
The TV has a fixed ip address, i thought this would be needed for the port forward rule, I shall try dynamic address tomorrow as kids are watching a film
Routers media service isn't disabled, I shall try that too cheers
Thanks again

npr
Pro

No, a dynamic LAN IP is better for port forwarding, but do tick "always use the same IP address" in the routers network settings for each device.
Why have you port forwarded to the TV?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NPR Can I ask what your reasoning behind "No, a dynamic LAN IP is better for port forwarding" is?
In the 30+ plus years I've been in IT have never heard this before and doesn't the fact that you are telling the OP to "always use the same IP address" invalidate your statement by effectively making the address static?
lf2k
Grafter

@Mook:  you want it to be handed out via DHCP (even if it's the same IP every time).  Not normally a good idea to set it manually on the device.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lf2k So can I assume that it's really to do with being lazy? So you don't have to configure the clients. Or am I missing the point!
What difference does it make issuing the address via DHCP?
lf2k
Grafter

I guess it's just sheer laziness, but it's something I tend to do!  Grin
There are some benefits though - e.g. if you change your DNS server in DHCP then all of the clients will get that updated DNS server.  There are other DHCP options that can be set as well.
Obviously in the home there are fewer devices to manually set, but when you're running a LAN for an office it's easier to manage it all in a central place, and old habits die hard!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: lf2k
There are some benefits though - e.g. if you change your DNS server in DHCP then all of the clients will get that updated DNS server.  There are other DHCP options that can be set as well.
Obviously in the home there are fewer devices to manually set, but when you're running a LAN for an office it's easier to manage it all in a central place, and old habits die hard!

Yes, I can see the obvious benefit of the DNS, Gateway, DNS Domain etc, but I'm more curious about the Port Forwarding comment made by NPR. Surely if you were implementing a port forwarding rule common sense would dictate that you use a static IP or it is simply a "Best of both worlds" using this approach? i.e. the benefits of the aforementioned but still having the ability to port forward. Now, just having typed that I can see that it must be.
On a related note I (sadly) keep a spreadsheet of the items on my network. Having recently bought a Kindle Fire TV box I went to add it to the spreadsheet only to notice that it would be the 31st item on the list! As you can imaging keeping track of this I'll admit it tedious, so I can see the appeal of DHCP.
Well it's always good to learn something new and I may well start to adopt this.
npr
Pro

Quote from: Mook

In the 30+ plus years I've been in IT have never heard this before and doesn't the fact that you are telling the OP to "always use the same IP address" invalidate your statement by effectively making the address static?

That's from years of experience with using Thomson / Technicolor routers, both my own observations and those helping others with these routers in various forums.
We can only speculate on the reason, but these routers have been seen to have more problems with port forwarding to devices on static IP addresses than to devices on a dynamic IP. The same goes for UPnP.
Part of the reason may have something to do with the routers scrip which clears and recreates PF firewall rules when the router reboots (it may or may not also do this at other times such as when the target device sleeps or is otherwise disconnected). It may also have something to do with the devices MAC address being more relevant than the IP address for the routers firewall script and I believe for routing over the LAN.
As I said, that's speculation I've never been that bothered to investigate the actual cause behind it.
As for ticking "always use the same IP address", that creates a static DHCP address by placing a permanent entry in the routers ARP table for the target device. There's only a temporary entry in the ARP table for devices on a automatic IP or devices assigned a static IP address , this times out at some stage ( I think it's 10 minutes IIRC).
I'm sure this helps the routers PF script keep track of the device for which it need to do the PF.
smash

Evening
Been trying a few things today and still no joy
Router has tv as use same address (Tv is DHCP)
Disabled USB media Router server
Removed port forwarding
going to look at the tv settings again
failing that i think a different router purchase may be required, any recommendations appreciated

npr
Pro

Quote from: smash

going to look at the tv settings again

The HH3 has a gateway address of 192.168.1.1
The TG582 has a gateway address of 192.168.1.254
Could it be the network setting in the tv were not changed when swapping router?
It's a trap I've fallen in to a few times Wink
As for a dhcp address, although I believe the TG582 prefers this I think I've see that some TV don't (Panasonic IIRC)