cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM reset

jwsg
Rising Star

DLM reset

I think a DLM reset might be necessary after a line repair for a fault that had caused many disconnects and a eventually a speed drop. The repairing engineer wasn't able to do this after fixing the fault. 

12 REPLIES 12
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: DLM reset

It's not possible for us to do this remotely I'm afraid.

A DLM reset can only be done by a engineer.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jwsg
Rising Star

Thanks, but I specifically asked the engineer after he had fixed the fault, and when I saw that it had reconnected at a low speed, to reset the profile. He claimed he didnt have the neccessary details to be able to do this and left saying I had to contact ISP to arrange.

If this doesnt actually need doing, i.e. there is a known time period before the DSLAM will adjust then OK, but otherwise I still have a unsatisfactory broadband comnection.

redbull2k14
Grafter

now that your line has been repaired, it will take upto 10 days for dlm to make positive changes, if you have no changes then i think a dlm reset will be required.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If the DLM doesn't increase the profile and this is below your estimates, we'd have to arrange for a new engineer visit as DLM on fibre can only be reset following resolution of a fault by the engineer requesting this with their controls.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

In addition your issue isn't being caused by DLM as your profile is "0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jwsg
Rising Star

From the limited info visible on the Hub I could see a connection speed of under 40M with an over 9dB margin after the line fix - which was previously a 6dB margin at 50M (and last year the speed was 60M). If the profile is already maxed out then I'm not too sure what to do next or what will happen by itself?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Our tests are actually still showing a external fault.

I'll get this raised for you which will send a broadband engineer out rather then a phone engineer.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jwsg
Rising Star

Many thanks

jwsg
Rising Star

Matthew

Sadly nothing has been done in the last week and in fact CSC is attempting to close your ticket of 9 Feb saying it was fixed by the previous visit of 8 Feb

That visit of 8 Feb restored voice but left me with regular daily disconnects and a low sync of 39Meg

EDIT I see my profile is 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission High

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry to see this is ongoing, I see there's an engineer arranged to visit this week. I do hope they are able to resolve the issue for you

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jwsg
Rising Star

Thanks for picking this up. 

The engineer came today and spent some time:- running tests, changing to the very latest master socket, reseting the DLM, and checking the wiring at the cabinet itself.

Unfortunately even after all this the sync has risen to only 43Meg (at 6dB margin following the reset). At the start of the month it was 50Meg and was 60Meg until last October. The ping also seems to have increased recently. The estimate range is currently 48-65.

I don't really understand how the speed can fall so much in a year on a new cabinet (and the engineer remarked on the low number of other connections).  

Regardless of the why, it's not good to be on the 80Meg tariff but getting around 40 (the estimate was 65-80 when I signed up).

jwsg
Rising Star

I guess I just want an honest assessment of what my line will do, to be on the appropriate package, and for the speed to stop dropping.

When I signed up last March I believed the 67-80 estimate as I'm only 350m from the cabinet.

When the speed dropped to 60 Meg within a few weeks engineer #1 showed me his graph, and the measured line length of 600m, and said 60 Meg was reasonable.

By November the speed was down to 50 Meg and the estimate had changed to 49-65.

Now the speed is just 43 Meg and engineer #3 yesterday showed another graph with such a steep roll-off it makes me wonder if anyone over 100m away can get any speed at all.