Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM reset needed following line fault?

FIXED
TheSentinel
Hooked

DLM reset needed following line fault?

Hi there

We've recently had another line fault with intermittent bad noise that has noticeable over the past few weeks. I also noticed our speed had dropped quite a bit when running speed checks.

BT engineer came out last Thursday afternoon and said that the problem with the line was between the cabinet and the exchange and that it should be all resolved the day after he came (something else needed fixing). Shortly after he left I got the automated SMS voice message saying fault was resolved.

The last time we had a line fault I raised a Plusnet fault and eventually the DLM was reset I believe as I think my connection was banded.

Does DLM need resetting now after this line fault as my speed is just stuck around 24mb with Google's speed test. I've tried rebooting the fibre modem a few times now (which was needed last time to get the speed up) but nothing has changed.

Many thanks for your help.

9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: DLM reset needed following line fault?

Hi there, it looks like DLM has already updated (on Friday) diagnostics do indicate a broadband fault though which isn't great but on the other hand we know what needs to be looked at. 

Can you report that over at http://faults.plus.net please? Let us know when you have and I'll take things from there.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TheSentinel
Hooked

Hi Adam

Thanks for the quick reply. When I go to the faults website I get this:

Broadband Troubleshooter Unavailable
There is currently a fault open in our systems for your line. This may be as a result of an old fault, or a system error.

A problem has been raised, and will be investigated by our developers. In the meantime, if you're still having problems with your broadband please give us a call.

Are you able to reset this so i can raise the fault? It's stuck from the last time I raised a fault!

Many thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you're unable to raise a fault online.

I've raised a task with our database analyst (DBA) team to investigate this.

In the meantime, I've requested a DLM reset for your line. As this process is only a trial, it may fail.

From experience if this is successful it should be done within a week.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on any progress.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TheSentinel
Hooked

Thanks for this. I left it for a day or two and saw no change and then once power cycling the BT modem it saw an increase (this is what I had to do last time). This seems to suggest the DLM process has worked or started.

The question is, do I need to keep power cycling the BT modem every few days to help DLM increase the speed further?

Thanks!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

do I need to keep power cycling the BT modem every few days to help DLM increase the speed further?

Power-cycling your router regularly is likely to have the opposite effect I'm afraid.

As it may cause DLM to think there's an intermittent connection and band your line further.

Unfortunately it's just a waiting game for the reset to fully work.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TheSentinel
Hooked

OK - good to know! Thanks for the quick response. I will leave it alone. I won't sing to it either...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I take it by the fix that you're getting improved speeds now? Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TheSentinel
Hooked

Yes - speeds are much higher now and seem stable. I think for my line it seems to be a max of around ~40. Which is a lot higher than the average of low to mid 20s a few weeks back with the line fault. The lower speed confirmed my suspicion of a line fault - even if very intermittent. 

Thanks to you and all the team for helping to get this resolved.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Happy to hear that. Smiley No problems, let me know if you need any further help in the future.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet