Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM profile stuck

pcollins20180
Hooked

DLM profile stuck

Hi

About 4 weeks ago i installed some power line adaptors near my router which caused a large amount of errors. These were removed straight after i saw the issue but the DLM made changes to my line that night to reduced the speed and applied interleaving.

This has been in place for three weeks now and the DLM has not reverted my line back to how it was. 

I have raised a support request for this over two days ago but yet to have a response to this.

Can somebody please have a look into this

13 REPLIES 13
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: DLM profile stuck

Hi @pcollins20180, thanks for your post and welcome to our Community.

We're sorry to hear of your battles with the DLM.

I've tried to locate an account using the details from your Community profile but am having no luck whatsoever and so can you please PM me the username?

As soon as I've got it I'll be able to begin diagnostics testing and hopefully get the DLM set to a more acceptable level.

pcollins20180
Hooked

Hello @OskarPapa

I dm you yesterday and the change you made has made no difference

Paul
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us.

We've tested your line and whilst we can see DLM has applied interleaving it's not applied any cap to your speeds as your current profile is "Downstream: 0.128M-80M with Interleaving (Low). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection."

Unfortunately we cannot request DLM resets just to remove interleaving but as long as the line remains mostly error free then DLM should remove it in time.

With regards to the speeds themselves our tests aren't showing any cause for this and they are within your estimates for the line and above your minimum guaranteed line speed.

If you want us to continue investigating we'd need you to respond to the open fault ticket on your account

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
pcollins20180
Hooked

Thanks for getting back to me.

How long do i have to wait for DLM to make changes?

As you can see below the DLM has knocked the speed back where i was syncing at 60MB

Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2) — Annex B — Profile 17a
Status & Uptime: UP — 3d 15h 44m 50s — Resyncs: 1
Line State: showtime_tc_sync [0x801]
Power Mode: L0 - Synchronized

Downstream — Upstream

Attainable Line Speed: 60.827 Mb/s — 19.444 Mb/s
Actual Line Speed: 53.159 Mb/s — 19.506 Mb/s
Trellis: 😧 ON — U: ON
Bitswap: 😧 ON — U: ON
G.INP: 😧 Not Enabled — U: Not Enabled
Virtual Noise Support: 😧 Not Supported — U: Not Supported
Interleave Depth: 774 — 1
Interleave Block: 85 — 255
Interleave Delay: 8.0 ms — 0.0 ms
INP: 3.0 — 0.0 
NFEC: 85 — 255
RFEC: 16 — 16
LSYMB: 16449 — 5230
LPATH: 0 — 0
Line Attenuation: 19.7 dB / 22.5 dB
Noise Margin/SNR: 5.7 dB / 6.0 dB
Transmit Power: 6.9 dBm / 6.7 dBm

Errors Since Line Up
FECS: 1141774 — 2451502 
ES: 8 — 4699 
SES: 0 — 51 
LOSS: 0 — 634 
UAS: 35 — 35 
HEC: 0 — 0 
CRC_P: 5 — 0 
CRCP_P: 0 — 0 

Errors in 15 Minutes
Code Violations: 0 — 0 
FECS: 668 — 0 

Errors in 1 Day
Code Violations: 3 — 0 
FECS: 170500 — 0 

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @pcollins20180,

DLM will monitor the line over the 30 days period and remove interleaving providing there is no further conditions on the line.

We would advise you monitor the connection and get back to us if this does not improve at that time.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
pcollins20180
Hooked

Hello

So yesterday was 30 days since the DLM made changes to my line and guess what no changes were made last night.

So where do we go from here?

Just so you know i am 10 M/Bs down on speed and interleaved too where as before this i was not

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Unfortunately we cannot advise exactly when DLM will remove the interleaving from your line. With regards to your speeds these aren't being capped by DLM as your current profile is "Downstream: 0.128M-80M with Interleaving (Low). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection."

If you want us to increase the loss of speed further we'd recommend raising a fault here but as your current speeds are within your estimates and MGALS then there's a chance that our suppliers may not accept this as a fault.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
pcollins20180
Hooked

So after opening a new thread asking a specific question i get a response referring me back to my original query here and the new thread closed why? I asked a simple question which was not answered.

some feedback for you plusnet sort out your customer service and response times. I would not have to post on here if you responded to your tickets on time.

So back to my question on interleaving. Are you able to remove this ? I have been advised on a open ticket that this has been done.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @pcollins20180,

As Matthew said previously, we can't remove interleaving manually.

The fact that the interleaving has remained on your line might indicate there are some errors. DLM has then applied interleaving to manage this.

I am aware you said your speeds have dropped, however they still remain within their estimates. Because of this, our suppliers might not deem there to be an issue as the estimated range for your line is 48M - 68Mbs.

The broad estimations are there to allow for error protection to stabilise the line etc.

However, as we are still seeing some errors It might be worth going through a few checks on your setup to optimise your connection, which may remove the errors and consequently bring your speeds higher.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the speeds increase over time. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here

Although it can take up to 30 days for the DLM to apply settings, it might be worth leaving your setup in the test socket for at least 48-72 hours.

As Matt mentioned before if you want us to look into things further we'd recommend raising a fault here but as your current speeds are within your estimates and MGALS then there's a chance that our suppliers may not consider this a problem.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What do your stats look like now? Back in February you had a shed load of FEC errors. These are corrected errors as a result of interleaving being applied.
Unless this number has reduced significantly, then I'd be surprised to see DLM remove interleaving on its own accord.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pcollins20180
Hooked

Here are my stats after a reboot today. I was not aware that these were taken into account by the DLM

Is there anyway to help reduce these. Happy with the speed just want the interleaving removed or reduced 

Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2) — Annex B — Profile 17a
Status & Uptime: UP — 10m 19s — Resyncs: 1
Line State: showtime_tc_sync [0x801]
Power Mode: L0 - Synchronized

Downstream — Upstream

Attainable Line Speed: 60.298 Mb/s — 19.440 Mb/s
Actual Line Speed: 52.057 Mb/s — 19.399 Mb/s
Trellis: 😧 ON — U: ON
Bitswap: 😧 ON — U: OFF
G.INP: 😧 Not Enabled — U: Not Enabled
Virtual Noise Support: 😧 Not Supported — U: Not Supported
Interleave Depth: 759 — 1
Interleave Block: 85 — 255
Interleave Delay: 8.0 ms — 0.0 ms
INP: 3.0 — 0.0 
NFEC: 85 — 255
RFEC: 16 — 16
LSYMB: 16108 — 5201
LPATH: 0 — 0
Line Attenuation: 19.8 dB / 22.6 dB
Noise Margin/SNR: 6.0 dB / 6.0 dB
Transmit Power: 6.9 dBm / 6.7 dBm

Errors Since Line Up
FECS: 1634 — 2452025 
ES: 0 — 4702 
SES: 0 — 51 
LOSS: 0 — 667 
UAS: 34 — 34 
HEC: 0 — 0 
CRC_P: 0 — 0 
CRCP_P: 0 — 0 

Errors in 15 Minutes
FECS: 1494 — 0 

Errors in 1 Day
FECS: 1559 — 0 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Interleaving isn't something we can remove or request to be removed from a fibre line I'm afraid.

If this was possible, we'd absolutely be happy to do this for you. With regards to the errors on the line, it may be worth trying the troubleshooting steps my colleague @Optimatts advised of in his response.

Failing that we'd need a fault reported to us, so we can get this raised with our suppliers for further investigation.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What some people have done to get rid of interleaving is to reduce their own speed for a few days. I'm guessing those stats are from an OpenWRT (Lantiq) modem, so you wouldn't be able to set a speed cap. But you would be able to increase the SNRM to lower the speed, which might and reduce the error rate enough to make the DLM remove the interleaving.