Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM, cross talk or something else

jrilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

DLM, cross talk or something else

I finally got FTTC on Friday after my cab went live. I was pleased that I got speeds around 69/19. Long story sort I did some tweaking (changing a wire and testing that wire) which involved me disconnecting the router about 4 times, improving my sync up to the full 80/20. This morning at 8am, speed tests still showed 80/20 sync, so I thought I had escaped DLM.

Just got home to find my connection is now syncing at 68/16 and I'm being interleaved ping has gone from 13 to 29.

I would have thought if it was DLM it would have changed over night? As it's a new cab I know a few people were going live today so guess it could be cross talk? Sad My attainable rate is still 82 though, according to my router.

Can any staff have a quick look to why the sudden drop please?

51 REPLIES 51
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: DLM, cross talk or something else

I've checked your connection, seems to be a couple of times your connection dropped 3-4 times in rapid succession.

Running a line test, I'm not identifying the problem.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEU########

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 69.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 16.4 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 649.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 20:45 to 12:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 3
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

If the drop outs keep happening, I'd probably advise to look at raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jrilton
Rising Star

Hi @Anoush

The  disconnections on Friday are from when the engineer was doing the cab work to switch me to FTTC. The ones from yesterday afternoon were all down to me changing wires.

I have no idea about today's single drop though, could that be when DLM decided to do its thing? If it is DLM I hope it will recover though!

Thanks for the quick reply

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@Anoush - is there any chance you could run that same GEA test for my line please as I am interested to know what my estimated line length is?

Thanks in advance!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@jrilton - It's possible. Hopefully things will recover and you'll get your speed back.

@jafreer - Line length sitting at just under half a mile.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEU##########

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 45.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 7.7 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Not Run - Unable to run
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 768.9
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 15:15 to 17:45
Interference Observed In Days 2
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-55M Downstream 6dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Anoush! I think that is the fastest response I have ever had! Brilliant.

Does anyone have any idea what the "Regular interference observed daily" means? I understand what it is saying, but do we know what it classifies as interference? (speed drops, error rates etc?)

jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I have no idea on my line length is think the last engineer i had out said it was roughly around 500meters @Anoush are you also able to run that test on my line if it's not too much trouble .

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@jafreer Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I'll find out for you tomorrow once I'm back in the office.

@jamesanstee Sure thing, watch this space tomorrow.
jrilton
Rising Star

Well spotted @jafreer I wouldn't mind knowing the answer about interference myself @Anoush Smiley

My router sits below a lamp (I have a wifi access point in a different room) it's a Philips Hue Smart bulb which comes on just before sunset and stays on until midnight. Although this is more like 5pm until midnight so not quite the times it states below. I wonder if that's the problem?

Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 20:45 to 12:45
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

IMHO, yes.

Read on if you so wish - I should really practice what I used to preach!!

It's been a while, so I may have missed a few bits here or there, but many things in or around our own homes can cause REIN (or SHINE) - no joke: REIN (Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise) SHINE (Single Hit Impulse Noise Event)

Put simply, REIN is radio frequency interference caused by an electrical source. You can check for this yourself by using a portable radio set to 600 to 650kHz and hopefully locate the source. This saves you having an engineer visit, for them to find it, and then charge you as it's inside your premises....

The list is endless, but certain power supplies (plug in transformers for phone chargers, even the routers supplied PSUShocked) can cause this (why do you think the flex is so long), as can fluorescent tubes, low energy bulbs etc, dimmer switches, some thermostats (home, not car) and even things that have a motor!!

One of the smallest but biggest causes is Christmas lights!!

Even a neighbour can cause our router to drop the connection/cause a blip but industrial premises can be a real pain.

Back on my days on the BT Forums, it was proven that REIN prevented a router from synching up as well causing this to drop the connection. It's one of the reasons why OR went round installing a Service Specific Face Plate (SSFP) in some of our homes.

Again simply put, SHINE is radio interference that's emitted in short random bursts.

OR have seen this as bursts of errors in their DLM data too!!

Similar to REIN, this can also cause the connection to drop and stop the line from synching whilst the interference is present. Having spoken to an OR broadband technician several years ago, he said that regarding SHINE, it's more difficult to find the source than it is with REIN.

So, you could always try moving the lamp or the router and see if Anoush sees that yours changes....

jrilton
Rising Star

Thanks for that @DS Smiley

The way I have it set up is the router sits under a wooden shoe storage, the lamp is on top of it so I did think it was far enough away not to cause any issues.

It could also be the fact that the power extension cable and cable that comes from my master socket share the same hole going behind the shoe stand (maybe the increase in power draw causes the interference) so I need to try separating these.

Ugh got some work to do Wink

DS
Seasoned Champion

No problem Smiley

I can imagine it now ... when your neighbour sees you walking around with a radio, pointing it at anything electrical, they're gonna think you're a nutter!!Funny

I really hope you find it and fix it. If you don't then at least you can say you tried!!Thumbs_Up

jrilton
Rising Star

@DS I found this really helpful

Going to see if I can get hold of a portable radio, or just buy a cheap one that I can use to sing along to in the shower when I'm done with the tests Smiley 

I noticed my attainable speed has dropped down to 72, around the same speed as when the service went live. I know even more people got connected today though!

DS
Seasoned Champion

I'm either being blocked or the URL you posted is wrong....?

I have to admit that I've noticed some oddities since joining PN, not sure if it's deliberate (doubtful), a genuine mistake (possible), just down to their 'new network', or their PNH1. As I can only get a maximum of 32, mine either gets slower over time, or is randomly hit n miss. If the connection lasts for 2 weeks then I have to reboot anyway to restore the 'blip'.

The odd thing is, using the BT network but another suppliers gear in the exchange (LLU), my connection was great for near on 2 years. I only had one issue and they remote reset the DLM and that was the only real issue with them.

jrilton
Rising Star

@DS added the link as a hyperlink, it should now work!