Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM and changing router

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

DLM and changing router

I have moved from a LLU provider who didn't have a DLM system on their fibre to PN. I am aware of how DLM works, but didn't think it would be used on a fibre connection, but from posts I have seen, that is not the case. I am going to get my own fibre router (haven't decided which yet as it looks like my HH5 will never materialise). I am a bit worried about the consequences of my connecting/ disconnecting while setting it up. I may need to disconnect multiple times while "playing" which could have a detrimental effect on my line speed. Any ways around it at all?
Thanks
Mark
7 REPLIES 7
AndyH
Grafter

Re: DLM and changing router

There is no such thing as LLU fibre - DLM applies to all connections, irrespective of the ISP.
Disconnecting/reconnecting is fine, just try to avoid rebooting the router without disconnecting.
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I read a definitive statement recently (either on Kitz or ThinkBroadband - will post link if I can find it again*) stating that BT's implementation does not use the "dying gasp" protocol if you power off the modem before disconnecting the line. Instead it counts reconnects (NOT disconnects) and assumes that a gap of more than 15 minutes was a power outage rather than a line fault.
The trouble is you can't know when the clock starts, so you have to disconnect for over 30 minutes to make sure DLM doesn't kick in.

* edit: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13943.msg262418#msg262418
westbusker
Grafter

Well when my lovely new TP-Link W9980 arrived I just unplugged the BT Openreach modem & PN Router.
Plugged in my new router in place of both the above, put my PN username into the router.
All done, rock solid since  Smiley
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: AndyH
There is no such thing as LLU fibre - DLM applies to all connections, irrespective of the ISP.

Really? That's not how I read it on Sky. I had to disconnect several times in a short space of time on my old service with no detrimental effects and also when we had some electrical work done, the supply was on and off like a you know what!! The only difference I saw in connection was from 40000 to 39996, so not much to worry about.
I'm not worried about swapping out the router, it is when I am playing with settings and stuff that sometimes require the router to reboot.
Mark
AndyH
Grafter

Everyone buys FTTC from Openreach who have their own DLM system. FTTC isn't unbundled like ADSL and WLR.
You should be fine with rebooting your router - but make sure you do a disconnect first then DLM can see it's end user initiated rather than caused by errors on the line.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for that.
Just thought as well, when I was continually rebooting the Sky router, it was only the router being booted as it was connected to the OR modem, so it wouldn't have had an effect. The new router will have built in modem, so I willl be mindful of the manual disconnect  Smiley
Mark
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: westbusker
Well when my lovely new TP-Link W9980 arrived I just unplugged the BT Openreach modem & PN Router.
Plugged in my new router in place of both the above, put my PN username into the router.
All done, rock solid since  Smiley

That sounds like a good upgrade for me as the tg582n wireless is giving issues at times.  Smiley
My area is flooded with 2.4ghz users nicking all the bandwidth and all channels but no 5ghz users according to inssider
Looking at the specs this replaces both the Openreach Modem and the Technicolor router ?
Let's be careful out there !