Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM after line fault?

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: DLM after line fault?

Was this test completed via Ethernet or Wireless?
ericelgato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's all Gigabit Ethernet except from the final connection to the OR modem which is obviously 100Mbit.
Edit:
I've just done another quiet line test. Now that it's a quieter time of day I can hear a low level but fairly constant cracking on the line.
This certainly wasn't there before the line fault occurred/was 'fixed'. I suppose I'm going to have to raise this as a voice fault with BT?
ericelgato
Rising Star

Yesterday BT came out and checked the line. As far as I can tell the very minor noise issue is now fixed.
According to the figures from the modem nothing much has changed...

The line is capable of 72/22 but the line rate is still set to 40/5.
How to I get my connection back to the 65/17 I had prior to the original line fault? The attainable rate shows that it should be possible?
Just getting the estimated 56Mbit the member area quotes for my connection would be a good start.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Well Plusnet will tell you to wait for DLM to do it's thing and raise the speed back up, problem is there are reports that DLM has been turned off after a court ruling and such what ever you had before the switch off your stuck with.
BTW wont do a reset unless it was a fault repaired within the fibre cab or the exchange, Line faults don't count for some strange reason I found that out the hard way having lost a fair chunk myself due to two line faults, you can try and take it up with Plusnet but you will get no where they wont deviate from the computer says no script BTW gives them.
Sorry to say you may find your stuck with what you have now.
chrcoluk
Grafter

The good news is there is reports on numerous forum's people are still been hit by DLM, meaning it may well still be enabled or it was off but turned on again, it may just be part of DLM turned off.
AndyH
Grafter

DLM has not been turned off...
ericelgato
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately it's still difficult to know where I stand with this. Will DLM fix it or not? I still don't know.
The connection is still perfectly useable so I think the best bet is to ignore it for a couple of weeks and see if it does improve on its own.
If anyone from Plusnet is able to clarify matters it'd be appreciated.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
DLM has not been turned off...

who are you going to say is your source this time?
AndyH
Grafter

BT has been defending a claim brought by ASSIA since November 2011. They had asserted three patents against BT but during the proceedings, they had to narrow their allegations and withdraw one of these patents entirely.
In January 2014, the High Court found BT was infringing on only a minor part of one patent, and the Court of Appeal, whilst invalidating the majority of the claims of ASSIA's other patent, ruled that BT's network infringes what remains of the other patent.
Although BT was disappointed with the ruling, we have made minor changes to our programming which means these two decisions have no material effect on the operation or performance of our networks.
rona

The 'minor change' better not be to do with setting the target snr as my line appears to be banded at 12dB down
AndyH
Grafter

I believe it's something to do with the way historical data is used by DLM - but I am awaiting clarification.
BT are due to make major DLM changes in the early part of 2015 so we'll see what happens.
WWWombat
Grafter

My most recent understanding of the situation was that
- BT had indeed made changes to the code for managing DLM
- The court does not seem to just want to take BT's word for it (it appears there is some history about how much information BT wanted to release earlier in the trial)
- BT have supplied details of the code change to the court
- The court have not yet "approved" of the code changes (ie have not yet determined them to be non-infringing)
- But the court did decide that BT should pay Assia a certain sum per week in the interim, if they did keep DLM running
- This sum appears to be owed even if the new code is found to be non-infringing
My best understanding of what is the problem area matches AndyH - the patent talks of a state machine that effectively contains the historical state of the line; valid future options are then determined from combining new events (ie new DLM statistics) along with the historical data embodied in the state machine, causing changes to the state machine - and new DLM line profiles to be chosen.
Using state machines is a natural choice of data structure for competent programmers; I would have thought this fact would help defeat a patent on the grounds of obviousness. That, plus the fact that software isn't patentable in the UK.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
sjptd
Grafter

Using state machines is a natural choice of data structure for competent programmers; I would have thought this fact would help defeat a patent on the grounds of obviousness. That, plus the fact that software isn't patentable in the UK.
Unfortunately the law relies heavily on undefined terms such as obvious,  or to someone skilled in the art.  Software isn't patentable as of itself,  but systems with heavy (100%) software parts can still infringe patents that have been coined in other language.
ericelgato
Rising Star

Some small progress in the right direction...
At exactly 03:00 my connection dropped for a few minutes. When it came back the downstream was still stuck at 39998 but the upstream has increased from 4999 to 5998.