Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM Process when changing to Plusnet?

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

DLM Process when changing to Plusnet?

Following my own observations and that of a number of other threads at the moment, I am no longer clear on what the DLM process itself is on new FTTC connections. I have also read through the various articles available including the BT SIN 498 document(!).

Background - before moving to PN on 1/12/17, we had previously been on BT Infinity 2 for around 6 years and during this time "thought" I had an understanding, from a users point of view, what to expect when DLM does "its thing". i.e., previously we had 2 engineer DLM resets - when first installed and then after a crackling line fault. The routine then was straight forward, the initial connection speed was low, then after a number of 3 day cycles, the speed went up. Usually just 2 cycles were enough, the first after around 24hours.

Having moved though to PN, it is clear on activation / swap over day, that my line profile was wiped (DLM reset?). I'm therefore in two minds;

1) When changing providers, the profile reset is somehow different to a full Engineer DLM reset

2) The DLM algorithm has changed at some point

I'm saying this as a number of posts also report "nothing happening", i.e. no line re-syncs for about two weeks. This is very different to what I have experienced with a known "Engineer DLM Reset".

Can anyone shed any light on this just to help manage expectations. i.e. it seems to be that the line is set on day one "Wide Open" and will go as fast as possible on a 6db profile. Unless there is major instability in the first day, DLM no longer rushes in and starts 3 day cycles to optimise the line.

I'm only raising this out of interest and to manage my expectations, as although I'm slower "on paper" its making no difference to anyone in the house - which is always good news Wink

3 REPLIES 3
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: DLM Process when changing to Plusnet?

Hi, when changing providers the line is fully reset as it would be during a Engineer reset ie Wide open there is no difference in the process or what happens in that regard as for DLM algorithm changes there hasn't been one as far as i'm aware since G.INP was introduced and the issues with ECI modems connecting to Huawei fibre cabs that was a couple of years ago.

DLM does what it needs to do when it feels it needs to do it, the time it takes varies it's like asking how long is a piece of string, many things can have a impact on the line that can cause DLM to not make changes especially this time of year with colder weather and Xmas lights etc out in the streets, sadly as it's a automated process there is nothing that can be done it's very much a wait and see game.  

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

as I understand the one thing which is not reset is a banded profile http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20558.msg358617.html#msg358617

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Thank you for the replies. The Kitz post is interesting as it does imply different levels of DLM resets. The only thing I know for sure now though is that its a waiting game Smiley