cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom DNS settings not working

PlanetWilson
Dabbler

Custom DNS settings not working

I noticed today and yesterday that web pages were taking ages to load. I can remote into work just fine but loading pages and other apps would periodically fail. Not all the time, but maybe 70% of the time I could get anything to load. Given that once a connection was made it was kept like my remote desktop I assumed it was a DNS issue. I tend to use OpenDNS as I prefer their content controls. I tried on a local machine with Google DNS and still same issue.

Only once I switched my router to get DNS servers automatically from Plusnet did everything start working again correctly. Has something changed on the Plusnet side that means you have to use their DNS servers now?

23 REPLIES 23
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Custom DNS settings not working

There's no change on our side that I'm aware of that would cause this, and I'm sure there are a number of customers (who will hopefully reply shortly) that still use 3rd party DNS servers.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
PlanetWilson
Dabbler

Okay thanks for the response. I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see if it resolves itself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PlanetWilson wrote:

... resolves itself.

Funny

PlanetWilson
Dabbler

Spoke too soon, problem is back again. Obviously not to do with which DNS servers I am pointing at

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Which router are you using?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
AndyWarren22
Hooked

Same here. Really intermittent speeds too. My average is 55Mbps, but in recent days it has completely cut out with max being 3Mbps. Getting beyond a joke now the reliability of this ISP.

PlanetWilson
Dabbler

NetGear D7000

SpendLessTime
Hero

Might be worth looking at this idea, to do with "Block UDP Flood" settings, discussed here https://community.netgear.com/t5/VPN-Firewalls/Easy-Fix-for-Intermittent-Connections-Slowdowns-Timeo...

I had issues with my TPLink C5 due to the Flood settings being set too low by default.

PlanetWilson
Dabbler

I don't think I've got a setting for that. I've tried turning off the dos portscan setting.

SpendLessTime
Hero

No, just read the manual for the D7000 and while you can change a lot, there is no control over the Flood protection other than disabling the port scan.

Hopefully thats done the trick.

PlanetWilson
Dabbler

Unfortunately not Sad

SpendLessTime
Hero

I think you need to log a fault with Netgear and also check if your D7000 firmware is up to date too.

PlanetWilson
Dabbler

I updated the firmware earlier today just in case. 

PlanetWilson
Dabbler

Also gone back to my BT HH5 for a bit and it seems a bit better but still getting slow loading on quite a few sites. Amazon for instance never finishes loading. No images or stylesheets etc.

Edit: Amazon working fine now too, I tried switching back to Netgear and although better than yesterday still not great. Back to HH5 now and all seems fine. Very strange. guess I'll return the Netgear. Bit of a shame as the HH5 is quite limited including not being able to choose your own DNS servers for instance.